cam seal, fork mods

MrYeats

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I finally got to hear my xs running, the engine anyways. It had a bad cam seal, so on the advice of some guys here on the site, I dug out the bad seal and ordered a new one and a couple of backups...Ebay of all places!
As for the fork mods, I did this:
When I finally got the clips off and pulled the forks apart and cleaned/resealed them, I drilled a small hole in each part that sits on top of the spring, and that the clip attaches to. Then ran a M6x1.0 tap and put in a small screw and washer on each one. Now any time that I want to add/change fork oil, take out the screw and add oil.
Never have to take those clips out again till it is time for new seals....

... ran a M6x1.0 tap and put in a small screw and washer on each one. Now any time that I want to add/change fork oil, take out the screw and add oil.
Never have to take those clips out again till it is time for new seals....
:thumbsup: That sounds way better than throwing a lasso into the hanging tree and raising the drain holes above the rest of the forks, so you can fill through them!

Any chance you took any pictures? I'd love to see exactly how it all looked before and after if happened to.

well I don't have any pix right now but it is simple. Once you pull the plastic fork tube cap and look into the tube, you see a 10mm bolt head. Simply remove that and get your syringe,(I use a turkey syringe), and stick it as far down there as you want and let it go. No mess. return the bolt and cap and that is it. You will have to remove the spring cap to get it out to drill and tap it.I wont be doing that again for a very long time.

Never thought of this. I wonder how it would work with a grease zerk. With a zerk you have a valve on top all you'd do is fill your mini grease gun with fork oil. Crap there's the rub. Grease guns don't seal well enough. But in this concept you would have a known volume of oil with each pump. I wonder if there is something that would work similar to this. The nice part is you'd have a closed system with little possible contamination. Hmmm Think about this for hydraulic brakes too. Back flush the brake system thru the bleeder valve.

Back