Can anyone tell me who owns this bike ? VIN 4R5-013971

Jso123

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Trying to buy a bike without a title. Need to track down the last REGISTERED owner. Current seller doesn't know who that was. I don't know the full story yet, but may be more trouble than it's worth... sounds a little suspicious...

It is a 1980 xs 400 Special II in CT.

Thanks

Scott

Homemail47@gmail.com

Here is my take on situations like this:

If you are not buying it from the owner with all the correct paperwork, you aren't buying it. You are paying a thief for stolen property. And then you will be in possession of stolen property, making you an accessory to the crime. At the very best, without the documentation, all you are buying is a bunch of assembled parts. Once you subtract from the asking price your labour to transport, disassemble, and clean those parts, the "seller" won't be getting much.

If the "seller" can't or won't provide the correct documents, for whatever pathetic reason, consider calling the local police and letting them know. If the bike is stolen, you have avoided a lot of hassle. If it isn't, the jerk "selling" it will get a wakeup call and the next potential buyer won't get screwed.

Really can't help you other than to tell you my list shows 4R5 prefix as an 1981 XS400H. Is this a number you were told, is it on any paperwork, or did you get it right off the bike itself?

My list shows two 1980's, one is 1980 XS400G Special 2 with prefix 3F8, and the other is 1980 XS400SG Heritage with prefix 3F9.

This list does have some errors in it so take what I just gave you with a grain of salt.

As for finding a previous owner through a VIN on this forum, I think your odds are very slim. Your local DMV might be able to help if you take the VIN to them.

Back