Can I use a smaller battery?

Fluffyfuzzynutz

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I'm planning a tail modification (unsure which one) and was wondering if I can use a smaller battery. I do want to retain the electric starter. Anyone using one smaller than the 12a?

You will need a 12a to keep an electric starter. I have a 1.3ah in my 80 but is kick only with led brake light and 10w turn signals.

Actually you don't need 12ah battery, PO of my bike had installed 6ah and 50 cold cranking amps bat on it and it started up just fine, but when fall hit, the problems began.haha.

I myself am facing the the battery purchase. I was looking for the standard one (12ah, 160amps, liquid) but when I saw how huge it was quickly changed my mind and went with the best available choice: 11ah, 200amps and AGM (less maintenance the better:). And for it's strength it is only 14.5x8.5x11 (centimeters ofc).

To xschris, for electric starter you don't need exactly 12ah capacity, what matters is how much power it can give out at this instant.

Yes I agree but I was not sure what the cranking amps one would need. I know they make a very small and light battery with high cranking amps but they are not cheap.:doh:

I think 6ah, 140a would work just fine, and how small it is. But in reality I would never pay 119 dollars for 6ah bat. My bmw's 100ah battery cost 120 euros, go figure.

I took the measurements in battery center of my soon to be battery to build the tray, I even couldn't afford 42 EUR AGM at the moment.

Back