Can i use parts from other years on my 80'

FragFuel

80' Hardtail
Reaction score
Me and pop ordered a 79' clutch cable and clutch handle for my 80' xs because we couldnt find 80' parts. Is there much of a difference?
Smart choice? Wrong choice? What should we get?

Should be OK, but the bars on an '80s may be a bit higher. Everything else should be OK.

I doubt it will be enough difference, if there is one, to make it not work.

Are you just looking for cables or are you asking in general whether or not the parts are different?

Clutch cable should be the same for both years. I have bikes of each year.

Yamaha offered two types of bars on these bikes. I call them "Sport" and "Touring". The Sport bars were painted black and lower rise. The Touring bars were chromed and slightly higher rise plus swept back a little more. Either set of bars works with stock cables as there was enough slack to accommodate.

Many parts were the same but not all. You really have to check Yamaha part numbers to be certain. For example, seats were hinged through '79 model year but lift-off after that.

The triple tree and steering stem seems to be different from '78 to '81. Just throwing that out there; I tried to do a swap in the past :p

Thanks guys im going to try installing today, and im going to make an intro today too

Side note: i have 15" apes

'77's thru '79's were much [but not all] the same.
'80, '81,and '82 [Heritage] are an interchangable set differing only in wheels [wire or cast], paint, and chrome.
Seca and Maxim were internally and externally different from earlier models and, I think, from each other. '83 was the last XS400 [N.M.]

Yamaha Corp. has a website with detailed drawings and part #'s for everything they sold in North America - very useful.
Here:
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/partviewer/default.aspx?ls=sport

Not sure what you've got? Wheels are often a year-marker when searching the drawings.

Back