cannot get my battery to work!

crazyskull92

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Im very new to the forum and working on motorcycles in general.
the whole backstory is sometime last year I bought my first bike, an 81 yamaha xs400 which I plan to build into a brat/tracker. Due to money issues it sat for awhile through winter but it was covered. I was told the only problem was it needed a battery, so thanks to a new job I was able to start putting money into it. I went out and bought new spark plugs, new battery and changed the oil, however after much anticipation it wouldn't fire up! Under closer examination I assume its not getting juice, i was told when the key is turned and its in neutral the yellow light should light up and I should also be able to use signals, break light, etc.. I know it's a pretty broad question but would anyone know by chance what's wrong with it? Its hooked up correctly and everything but no juice. If pictures are needed I can provide whatever is needed, also ive never heard of a battery exhaust tube and im not 100% sure where it goes but I assume its just as it sounds and doesn't nessicarily has a home as long as its not in the way of any thing.
help of any kind would be greatly appreciated!

I apologize for any spelling/grammatical errors, im using a smart phone cause I do not currently have access to a computer

Thanks!
-CS

After reading some other posts with similar problems I decided to take a peak at the fuse box, problem is I cant locate it. Starting to think I got sold a bike without one.

Posted via Mobile

Your bike definitely has a fuse box,take the seat off the bike and look down underneath where the rear of the seat is.It might be tucked down underthe frame around the rear fender area.

On the key switch there are three positions. All the way left is OFF, one click right is RUN, all the way rigt is PARK.
OFF is off. Run powers everything. Park just lights the tail light.
If tge swuit ch is in RUN and no poqwer is getting anywhere check the fuses.
Power comes from the battery to the main fuse, often 20 amp. From this fuse power flows to the key switch. From the switch to all the other fuses.
Find a wiring diagram for your bike. Trace the wires from the battery to were ever they go.
Leo

Is it just me, or did I recently read a post with this same issue where the op didn't put any acid in his new battery?

Back