Carb help - Cleaned carb now random fast idle

Riderundead

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Background
Me:
I'm new to carbs. I'm new to motorcycles. I'm not afraid to fix it.

The bike: 81 xs 400 barn find. 6600 miles on the odometer. Completely stock. Did nothing to the engine except a couple of oil changes and fresh gas. (side note: I ditched the vacuum petcock in favor of a manual one that doesn't leak.) Ran ok but lacked top end and didn't run super smooth (subtle backfire) above 4000 rpm. Disassembled carbs and cleaned in ultrasonic cleaner. Lots of crap on mains. Removed brass plugs from mix screws. Reassembled and installed carbs with mix screw at 3ish turns out. Balanced with clear hose and ATF method. Tried to follow tuning guides but never quite feel like I got the tune right because I don't know what I'm doing. After the rebuild the bike runs/ran much better. Was happy to find that the engine would blast past 5000 rpm and beyond with no problem. Bike was happy to sit at 6000 to 7000 rpm and cruz... My test ride ended up going long... 100 miles long.

The Problem
The next day I went for a short ride and the idle hung at around 3000 rpm mid ride at a stop but not at every stop. Seemed to run ok otherwise. Same thing this evening on a short ride. Once at home the idle would hang at 3000 after a blip of the throttle. If I kill it and restart the bike idles at 1500. I decided to try to readjust the carbs. I pulled a plug wire and set about trying to tune the opposite carb. It doesn't seem to me that it makes much difference if the mixture screw is out 2.5 turns or 3.5 turns... When I moved onto the 2nd carb I noticed is that one cylinder won't idle as low as the other. In other words I had to adjust the idle set screw a couple of turns to keep the bike running while adjusting the 2nd carb. I decided to set both mix screws at 3 turns out and call it a night. What bothers me about the whole process is that the two sides seem to idle at different throttle positions and I never really felt like turning the screws 1/4 or 1/2 turn here or there made much difference. I need some guidence.

Thanks!

Last edited:
It sounds to me like you might have carburetor out of sync. The screw between the carbs adjusts to sync them. It may not be anything to do with the mix

Have you set the valves yet? Do that then re-sync carbs. Did you replace the shaft seals in the carbs? If the bike is all stock tuning should be very easy. I would also do a cold compression test. Make sure the carb diaphragms are crack and hole free. Make sure to drain and clean the oil sump at the bottom of the motor if haven't done it already. Post some pics of the bike so we can see what you are working with.

Have you set the valves yet? Do that then re-sync carbs. Did you replace the shaft seals in the carbs? If the bike is all stock tuning should be very easy. I would also do a cold compression test. Make sure the carb diaphragms are crack and hole free. Make sure to drain and clean the oil sump at the bottom of the motor if haven't done it already. Post some pics of the bike so we can see what you are working with.

Following your advice. Set the valves this afternoon. Definitely too much play. Will re-sync. I did not replace any seals in the carbs. By shaft seals do you mean for the air inlet valve? I did not disassemble the butterflies. Diaphragms looked great. Drained all the oil and cleaned the sump 300 miles ago. Will update after re-sync. In the meantime here’s pics.

Attachments

• CDBF64D8-85E7-434C-AEE6-F1E5F58C5F31.jpeg
    CDBF64D8-85E7-434C-AEE6-F1E5F58C5F31.jpeg
    241 KB · Views: 256
  • 908A5119-C61F-4A8A-AE6B-AB3F806419B6.jpeg
    908A5119-C61F-4A8A-AE6B-AB3F806419B6.jpeg
    174.2 KB · Views: 237
  • E9A22EB5-0CA9-4F2C-9F15-F1946CE67C24.jpeg
    E9A22EB5-0CA9-4F2C-9F15-F1946CE67C24.jpeg
    221.8 KB · Views: 272
Search the forum on air leaks for carbs as there are many threads on this.

I set the valves and then started over with carbs and syncing. There was a lot of slop in the valves. Carb adjustments went much better. Sprayed down carbs looking for air leak. Didn’t find anything but not going to be surprised if I find a leak eventually. So far no fast idle and bike is running smooth. Thanks for all the input! Will order shaft seals just in case.

Glad to know your bike is back up and running. I wish I could say the same for my bike.

Back