Carb. identification & gaskets help

Kawakaze

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey ya'll,
So I'm in the process of restoring a 1977 XS360, this is my first project bike and so far I've found this forum to be extremely informative and I'm very grateful to have found it. I'll get straight to the topic here. Im having some trouble identifying which Mikuni carburetor this is that came off my bike. I once thought it was a bs34 because that's what comes stock on the xs360, but now I'm starting to think its a bs38 possibly, and it was just jetted for the xs360. So any info that can be provided for this carb. will be very helpful.
Next, I'm trying to find a rebuild kit for the carb in question, but everything that I have been able to find is different in some small way. For instance the float bowl gasket I need has 10 holes and the ones that I've been finding that are similar have 11 holes. Same thing goes for the choke gasket, mine has 6 holes and ones that are similar have 7 holes. Does this matter?
I attached pics of my carb. and of the rebuild kit which is close to what I need. Thanks for your time.

EC46B1C6-E93D-4F95-9490-1D354693DA8B.jpeg IMG_0416.jpg IMG_0418.jpg IMG_0400.jpg IMG_0397.jpg IMG_0395.jpg IMG_0374.jpg

Those are xs360 carbs. mikuni bs34 mark 1. As far as I know no one offers a xs360 "kit". I would search for any parts you need by the part numbers. Pilot jets, jet needles, diaphragms and needle jets are xs360 specific and need to be the correct part. Some bs38 parts will work. 76-77 I think. The 76-77 xs750 used same diaphragms, gaskets and pilot jets. Try to use and save what you can as these parts are getting hard to find.

Heres a good rebuild kit: https://www.siriusconinc.com/pro-detail.php?pid=&product_id=121384

Use only Mikuni jets. https://www.jetsrus.com/ has Mikuni jets for the 360 carbs. Cant remember which jets but youll need every part you can save. Your carbs dont look too bad, like they were dry stored.

If youre going all the way with the carb rebuild, you will want to replace the throttle shaft seals too. It will eliminate a lot of potential headaches down the road with getting it tuned properly. Its a real pain IMO getting to them but they probably need it. Im not sure if a chemical dip or a ultrasonic tank will ruin the seals anyways.

Like I said, those carbs looks pretty good you can probably soak them in hot water and pine sol for a few minutes and assemble them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick response, and pointing me in the right direction! I'll try to save what parts I can, the jets were sort of mangled from p.o. over tightening them. I do believe you're right about them being dry stored though. Float bowl gaskets are very dry and brittle, I was only able to open one of the float bowls without breaking the gasket as it was all dried and stuck to the carb.

So I noticed on the rebuild kit which was recommended by NewHavenMike, its the same issue I'm looking at with other rebuild kits where the float gasket has 11 holes and mine has 10holes. its essentially an extra hole in the gasket that leads to the pilot jet. Do you guys think this will be a problem? I don't see why it would be a problem as long as the jets are the correct size, but please correct me if I'm wrong here. Same thing goes for the choke gasket, I've only found ones that have one extra hole in the gasket.

Also, any thoughts on using gasket paper to cut my own gaskets?

Last edited:
Back