Carb synching and setting idle

xs400neophite

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Heya everybody,

I finally got the bike to idle with out choke!! Gapped the points and set timing. The right side points were tight and the timing was off.The right side was firing on the 'RT'mark not on the 'RF' mark.Might have contributed to the blue pipe.Reset that.
I then used the homemade manometer to synch the carbs and reset the idle to about 1200? ( Thanks 'Houghmade') The manometer worked great and the bike was finally idling without choke. The left side was off the charts!! (Definately contributing to that blue pipe)
I synched the carbs to about 3/4 inch of each other after some fiddling. The bike sounded pretty good. After, I even rode the bike on a little test drive :bike: The first actual ride.
Sketchy braking and down shifting not to mention taking turns on those original Yokohamas. Yikes!! Hard rubber and slippery. Sketchy.
I am excited about how well the bike is running!! The fouled up plugs are 'cookie' brown now.
Next is fix the leaking petcock and NEW TIRES!! BTW...what size (bigger) tires can we put on a stock fender setup?
Thanks guys and so happy I found this forum.

Feels good to get all the of kinks worked out doesn't it?

When you have an air-cooled bike idling for that long, it might not be a bad idea to get a big fan in front of the bike to cool the engine.

Can't help you with the question about the tires.

Glad you got things sorted out with the carb setup.

You may go up one size front and rear but some folks here don't recommend it. O.E. stock front for your bike (I have a '79 also) is 3.00x18 (90/90x18). You could go up to a 100/90x18 - what I have on the front of my '80 XS400. O.E. stock rear for your bike is 3.50x18 (110/90x18) with mags, rear disc brake. You could go up to a 120/90x18 (on my '80) but have to check clearance. Some report rubbing inside the swing arm, some don't. On a '79 with O.E. mags, you will need tubes as these rims were not certified for tubeless. I am sticking with stock widths on my '79. I don't detect any handling problems on my '80 but I'm not an expert when it comes to handling.

Hey Travis howzit? I was wondering about that. I have left the bike idling sometimes for too long.I am a newb-a-saurus when it comes to bikes.Thanks for the advice.
I also was wondering about adjusting the vavles.Does this need to happen before the carb synching? I havnt done this yet so I think I need to do that.
Hey OliverB how are you? I also am going stock. Found some tires at a nearby place like $53.95 for front and $68.95 for back. 90/90 front and 100/90 back with kinda original style tread. Thanks for the replys!

Got it! Cam chain Tensioner,valves,points gap,ignition timing and then carb synch
Cool Travis thanks for the info man.:thumbsup:

Ordered my tires today from Cyclecity.

Duro HF317 -01 3.0 -18 $ 44.95
Duro HF314 -01 3.5 -18 $ 64.95

Back