Carbs settings with short straight pipe

EJ8TrapKing

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I previously bought this bike as is somewhat running but cannot figure out why it won't stay running. To the best of my knowledge the last owner put a straight pipe on it and never changed anything with the carbs. So my question is since it is running pretty lean and cuts out after awhile, do I need to change any settings on the bike? I've tried messing with the jet needle to let more fuel in but still cuts out, so my next thought is the last owner didn't change anything on the carbs. Since it is running lean, do I need any aftermarket carbs or jetting screw to let it run right without cutting out? please help.:doh:

video in link

P.S. as i crank it it runs but idles weird and when i pull the throttle it revs out of control.

From what I see theres pods on the bike also?The only way to fix the lean condition is to rejet the carbs.Theres a ton of threads covering how to and the jetting guide is a good read also.
As for the hi revs could be the crankcase breather tube is open or theres a vacume leak somewhere.Numerous things could cause this problem.I suggest rebuilding and rejetting the carbs.There are threads that cover this topic also.Theres more to rebuilding the carbs other than than cleaning them so read up on this topic as it will be a great help to you.Hope this helps you.

yup clean your carbs

-up your jets to compensate for lean condition(more air due to straight pipe, I also see you're running pods which will add to the lean condition)
-rebuild carbs
-clean, clean clean(trust me its not going to be clean after the first 1-3x unless you've done this before or had it professionally done)
-check for leaks around carb holders
-check if slides are sticking (may be the reason why it revs out of control)
-replace diaphragms if they are torn (also may be why it revs out of control)

there are tons(litterally) of threads telling how to fix all these issues. Just use search. This topic has been gone over and over and over that most people probably wont reply to new ones anymore. Good luck!

p.s. the fact that your bike starts up at least is a really good sign. If you read through the threads you'll notice most people with dirty/old carbs cant even get theirs started.

Back