carburetor idle problemo

I ran this bike two days in a row, one day floats were around 16mm, moved to 26 mm for next day and it ran great….untill I let it roll to idle, then it would not start, nor idle…once I got it to run again, I got back to the shop (about 15 miles) running great, let off throttle, won't idle and dies, has not started since…I am about to remove carbs for the 98745 time and see if something is blocking (last removal I cleaned all jets, made no difference).

Symptoms are such…starter whirls over, spark plugs spark, carbs fill with fuel to the point of wetness at the air filters….I am wondering if 26mm is too high for these floats?

(they are brass) 1977

To start with before you start on the carbs you need to do a few things to besure it's the carbs.
Cam chain tension
valve adjustment
If points gap and timing. If eletronic, timing.
Once you get the mechanical and electrical right then start on the carbs.
On the side that won't idle it is most often plugged idle circuits.
To start with pull off the air fliters so you can see into the carbs intake. Now open the throttle. Just above the throttle plates you will see several tiny holes Some get covered when the throttle is closed. Now pull the air mix screw out. Using a spray can of carb cleaner put the plastic pipe in the hole where the mix screw was, Noiw spray the cleaner in, Does cleaner come out all those tiny holes? If not you need to do a better job of cleaning your carbs.
Also with the flosat bowl off when you spray into the mix screw hole does the cleaner come out through the pilot jet? If you spray into the pilot jet does it come out the tiny holes as well as the mix screw hole. If it doesn't there is a plug somewhere.
I take the quick tie from a loaf of bread. I then remove about 1/2 of the cover, This leaves a thin soft wire. I use this to carefully probe those tiny holes.
Once you get those passages open I'll bet it runs right.
Leo

Back