Centerstand hard to operate

Ola Glomstulen

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
I have a 1982 XS400 12E. It is quite stock and serves me well. The only complaint I have is that it is extremely hard to get it on the centerstand. I have removed. cleaned and oiled the stand as described in the user manual without any improvement. I could not see any dents or anything being bent that should cause this. I am hesitant to shorten the centerstand as there is about 1/2 inc under the rear wheel when it is on the stand which looks normal.
Does anybody have any recommended cure for this based on experience?

Attachments

• 20160313_150414.jpg
    20160313_150414.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 184
My center stand is difficult to operate as well. I actually pulled a muscle once because I did it haphazardly and was in unbelievable pain for a couple days.. I thought it was partially due to my front suspension being lowered so the center stand had more "swing".

Once I get my ride height figure and everything else on the bike, Im going to have the center stand shortened.. I may end up keeping it over the kick stand since I feel that the bike will be more stable when its propped up.

The arm that is on the side is for your foot to push the stand. It make getting it up much easier. If it's not bent or has been cut off it should work. The DOHC bike looks to be setup the same way.

DSC03185.JPG

Quite often the problems people have with center stands are due to technique.

Try this:
- Standing on left side of bike, facing it, grab the left grip with your left hand.
- With your right hand grab the handle on the frame that is under the seat.
- Stand the bike up on it's wheels.
- Place your right foot on the center stand lever and press it down until it contacts the ground. The bike may lean slightly to become perpendicular to the ground.
- Keep your back straight (tighten those abdominal muscles!), and bend your knees.
- Now, at the same time and with confidence, firmly step down with all your weight on your right foot while lifting with your right hand.
- Use your whole body if you need to!
- The bike will lift up and rearwards onto the center stand.

With practise, you will learn just how much force needs to be applied. Keep in mind that a tiny Japanese girl can do this with ease. If you are grunting like a sumo wrestler, you are doing it wrong!

Thanks all for your quick responses. I do agree with 16VGTIDave that it normally should be easier for me than a Japanese girl to operate the centerstand as I am 1.88 meter tall and weigh about 80 kg. However I think that I am familiar with the technique you describe. I also drive a BMW R80RT which is about 20 kg heavier and causes me no problem to enter on the centerstand. I have been riding this XS400 for about two years but so far, any variation of the described technique still makes it awfull heavy to get it on the centerstand. It looks to me as the pivoting angle is too big(or small, depending on how its measured) so it ha too much "swing" as NewHavenMike describes. I have also been wondering if the root cause could be that the springs in the front suspension has been permanently compressed after 35 years and that the front suspension thus may be lowered. The manual describes the Fork spring free length to 561.7 mm, so I think that it is possible to get this verified but then I would have to take it apart. I am by habit hesitant to tear down things that appears to be working well so I would prefer a method for measuring the springs from outside, does anybody have any suggestions for how this could be done.
As I still find this little bike of mine to be a masterpiece of engineering, I like to fix the root cause of the problem and I doubt shortening the centerstand would be so.

I would bet that your center stand is bent or damaged in some way causing your issue. Maybe even where it mounts. I have had sohc bikes that have had this making it hard to use.

Dave is spot on. I was clueless and almost hurting myself getting my bikes to stand properly. Lucky for me Dave came for a visit and showed me how to do this properly amongst other bike related issues. It's quite easy to do actually.

I checked my centerstand 12R-27111-00-R4 again and found that xschris was perfectly right in his analysis. The centerstand appeared to be severly bent so I obviously did a lousy job when inspecting it the first time. The retracting spring was not able to pull it properly upwards when retracted, and when folded up as much as possible, it was a gap of about 1 1/2" to the stopper on the left muffler. I assume that this must have been caused by someone either being to rough when entering the bike on the stand or sitting and bumping on the seat while on stand. The reason why I thought it was OK the first time I looked at it was because it was straight but I now see that it should obviously be angled Back(up)wards about 2" from the hinge bolts. I heated it and bent it by hand and after a couple of times managed to get it working quite good. The retracting spring is now pulling it properly up to the stopper when folded up and it is a lot easier to get it on and of the stand. The gap under the rear tire is now about 2 1/2" when parked on the stand on plain surface (it used to be about 1/2"). I have now painted it an intend to leave it as it is for this years riding season. I may consider doing minor adjustments to it next winter and possibly reinforce it if it tends to bend back. Attached file shows the stand before and after I bent it.
I think this repair was crucial, not mainly to make it easier to get it on the stand, but driving with the centerstand when it was hanging to far down could probable have been an safety issue
Thanks all for your responses, drive safe.

Attachments

• Centerstand before and after bending.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 205
Mine is that way still. My wife thought the only way to kick start it, was while its on the center stand, and then whale on it. So I have two bent center stands, trying to figure out if I am going to hammer it out or not. its still winter here, so I have some time this season to do something.
Tobie

Back