Chain and rubbing

akronevan2

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so I found out that my chain was loose 2 days ago. I tightened it up and now it sounds like it is rubbing. I don't think that either the chain or the nut on the axle is too tight, so it may be the chain needing oil. What do you think?

Kind of difficult to say about the rubbing thing. Have you visually checked the entire run of the chain to see if it is rubbing somewhere in it's travel? Have you ever lubed the chain? If not, do so. Never heard a chain that needs oil make any unusual noise but who knows!

did you tighten it on its tightest part 10 - 20mm deflection?

the axle nut has to be 70 - 77 lbs ft which is frickin tight

did you align the rear wheel with the adjusters equidistant either side?

Drewpy, huh? What is the deflection?? No I loosened up the axle nut and put the cotter pin back in. What adjusters on either side? I am really not stupid, just extraordinarily confused.

deflection is the amount of "give" along the bottom length of the drive chain.

you should have used the adjusters marked 13, 14, 15 to centralise the rear wheel. This will prevent the chain from rubbing

rear-wheel-xs400d-1977_bigyau0720e-7_d281.gif

hope that clears it up :thumbsup:

How loose was the chain and how tight is it now? If it's too tight it might make some funny noises. When you tighten the chain, loosen the axle and turn "15" on both sides evenly so the wheel remains straight. When the bike on the center stand, rotate the wheel a little bit at a time and find the tight spot of the chain first, then tighten the axle adjuster bolts (15) until there is about 3/4" of slack in the chain at the tightest spot. The chain should also be lubed. Any chance your chain and sprockets are worn out?

Back