chain recommendation...

cafedan

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
getting ready to buy a chain as well as some other parts. i sold a cb350 and have cash to fund some parts!!!!!!
i tried to search for a chain thread, but didnt see one. what are you guys running?

oh i have a 77 xs360

530 98 - 102 link. Don't bother with O ring, i have a heavy duty one which lasts a lot longer than the standard chain even though I oiled it well.

don't bother too much with brands as there's only so many chain manufacturers and its a mature product!

i ran #50 chain which is the same as a 530,but you can buy it by 10 foot roll,have not had any troubles running them,if they can turn a shit spreader,they can turn a rear tire..LOL

With the kind of power these bikes make a standard chain would work just fine. I have a o-ring on mine it should last a long time, longer than my sprockets. Ebay has some nice plated chains for like 40$ they work good and look nice.

thanks for the help guys! ill grab one this week. i might be able to ride the bike this weekend if i can get my tires on and get a chain!!!

Just curious, what about an "X" ring design. Not really familiar with them but did read that they mostly don't need oiling - not sure if that is true. They are more pricey, though.

I've run #50 when finances were low, but remember that it is intended for slower speeds...The tensile strength of #50 is about 40% give or take of what 530 is...

I forgot to measure my old chain before i tore the bike apart.
Can anyone with a stock XS400 SOHC 1980 measure the length from center to center sprocket (Or just give me the length of the chain they bought last)

Back