Cheap trills bober project

Crazycanuck

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I am new to this site I purchased an xs400j in July for only $400. Bike is in good shape with only 21,000km. I was going to let a friend use it for the summer but he never got around to getting his licence. So I decided to use the last bit of good weather to start a bobber build. I started the build and completely tore down the bike a couple weeks ago. I will keep this thread updated with my progress and am certainly open to hearing how you guys have done things in the past and advice. Here's a picture of my bike so far.

Attachments

• 1184922_10151815692882165_548155101_n.jpg
    1184922_10151815692882165_548155101_n.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 455
Welcome to the forum.
Your Maxim will be the antithesis of mine when it's done and I am looking forward to seeing how it takes shape. Best of luck.

Parts have been arriving over the past few weeks, yesterday the seat with springs. Here's where I'm at so far. Going to be welding soon for the first time.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    283.8 KB · Views: 316
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    283.1 KB · Views: 355
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 392
I like seeing people doing frame mods to the dohc bikes:) It's not easy.

hey i'm also building an xs400j mine is a 1982 and did you leave the rear sing arm on there. that's the style i am wanting to go with mine how did you get the seat rails out of the way cut them off?

hey i'm also building an xs400j mine is a 1982 and did you leave the rear sing arm on there. that's the style i am wanting to go with mine how did you get the seat rails out of the way cut them off?

So far I'm keeping the original swing arm because I won't have the funds or the skill to weld and new rear end myself. I put in a piece of square stock at 12.5 inches used the original bolts from the shock and viola hard tail. I found when I did that the original tank left no room for a seat after dropping it that low. The tank is from an 83 Honda Shadow. It won't be easy to fit it so just the other day I got another Yamaha tank from a Virago that fits better and the price was better too at $40. The tunnel on the Shadow tank was way too wide that it would be difficult to mount. The Virago tank was close to the same size but it's still too soon to know if it will work. The mounts on the Virago tank are too far forward and end up with the tank butt up against the steer tube. So I'm hoping to move those mounts back without losing too much space for the seat. I may have gone with too short a piece for what I'm trying to fit. I hope to get the mount for the seat bracket welded this weekend. Then I can figure out what's left for the gas tank. Hope that answers your questions. Thanks for posting guys, have a good weekend. Still riding here on Vancouver Island.

Some more progress was made in the last week. I found the tank I'm going with for now, color is not great but it will do for now. Moved the front mounts for the gas tank back and up and inch to accommodate the Virago tank. thought I'd double up the function of the end tank mount to also be the front seat mount. This made the most of the space I had to work with. Getting close to the first test ride just need rear mounts for the seat and lines for the petcock over from the right side.

Attachments

• xs 400 bobber seat 1.jpg
    xs 400 bobber seat 1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 389
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    297.1 KB · Views: 350
  • xs400 bobber seat.JPG
    xs400 bobber seat.JPG
    266.9 KB · Views: 318
Starting to reconsider buying one of these now. My dad has two xs's and I WAS very partial to them or the 650's, buy damn your bike looks good so far. Are you able to move the seat forward on it's mount? That may save you some length and keep your backside or seat off of the tire when you hit a bump. On most bikes I'd say weld up a hard tail, but I think this bike is going along with true bobber spirit and looks the part. Keep up the good work.

Well lesson learned don't buy cheap stuff. If anybody has issue when switching to pod filters it's probably because of the step on the rubber on the inside restricts the flow of air to the pilot jet. I also had to redirect the petcock from the right side of the new gas tank to the left intake of the carb. Customized the petcock and checked the tank is not leaking. That's about all the progress so far.

Since then I ordered new pod filters from Mikes xs Canada last week. Today my new xs pod filters and crank case filter arrived. Hope to get her running again this week, fingers crossed.

I bought a little tool shaped like a pen with a small light which flashes when you put the other end against the plug. It was only a few dollars at CdnTire. You can also test the plug wire to see it power is being sent to a plug that isn't firing.

I have read on here that it is dangerous to take the plug out and let it arc over to the head - apparently a high risk of frying one of the electrical components since our bikes have more sophisticated components than an old Briggs & Stratton.
So I would recommend against that - even though some guys write about doing it.

Thanks I will hit up the CdnTire tomorrow. Hopefully it's still good. I have since taken the carbs off and found one float has no bounce in it, if that makes any seance. I took off the covers because the drain screws are almost striped. I put something called "move it" for rusted bolts on the screws but they still won't budge. If they won't come out is it possible to drill them out? And what would the float's issue be, why would one have spring and the other not. One of the the jets has a 127.5 on the pair and they are not at the same height or depth at all. I will get some pictures on here as soon as I can and before I go any further. Any advice is much appreciated though.

Back