Cheap trills bober project

hows it goin? I love the hardtail style and wish I could do the same to my 82 400j but the roads here will kill me. not an exaggeration, the roads here are lethal. about your stuck screws: impact! hammer the heads of the screws to push some of the metal back into the stripped out area. then use locking pliers on a the correct driver bit for the screw head. hammer the driver bit into the slot and repeat hammering on it while twisting back and forth with the pliers. works for me every time! best of luck

One of the copper washers under the main jet is missing, and I fixed the return on the float needle, very slow progress this week. Is the washer important, dose it have to be copper? If that was missing who knows what more could be done wrong by the PO. I would post picture but I'm at work tonight. Will try and post em tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion MH400, I'll give it a try.

Here are some pictures of the way my carbs looked when I took the float bowls off. You can see the main jet was missing a washer/spacer making them different heights. Funny thing is the bike ran well before? I am going to start a complete tare down and cleaning of the carbs.

Attachments

• Carb1.JPG
    Carb1.JPG
    273.2 KB · Views: 246
  • Carb4.JPG
    Carb4.JPG
    223.4 KB · Views: 246
  • Carb3.JPG
    Carb3.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 257
  • Carb2.JPG
    Carb2.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 250
Progress report, guys.

Float bowl screws were stuck so bad I was considering taking them to a shop to have drilled out or ultrasound cleaner or whatever it is? After leaving them soaked in "Move It" for a couple weeks I used Meathead400's suggestion to use a bit of impact, things got desperate, had no meat to turn left anymore so on hunch I tried turning right to break the seal and what do you know it bugged. So I very carefully turned left again and VIOLA they came out. Thanks Meathead400.

Lou, thanks for your suggestions. I look for the tool you described but the guy at CT look confused I didn't want to ruin his day. I found my spark problem without it. I had put an extra ground for something ells on the starter and somehow it was robbing power from the starter. I took it off and grounded direct to the battery and starter went twice as fast. I then spread a bit of carb cleaner in the pods tried her and fired right away. It ran for a half a minute and then sputtered out. I now believe I'm on the right track I just need to jet it and add baffles to the exhaust to get some back pressure and I will be fine tuning.

Then today I borrowed my brothers welder and got this done. Anybody recognize where I got the material for the seat post bracket? Very please with the progress today.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• Seat fab3.jpg
    Seat fab3.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 238
  • Seat fab2.jpg
    Seat fab2.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 263
  • Seat fab1.jpg
    Seat fab1.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 248
  • Seat fab.jpg
    Seat fab.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 277
  • Seat fab4.jpg
    Seat fab4.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
Last night I got the chain, carbs tank and brake on. Going to try firing her up this weekend. More pictures with everything on including the new pod filters. Looking forward to painting this fall and to enjoy riding it this summer.

Attachments

• Bobber.jpg
    Bobber.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 275
  • Bobber 2.jpg
    Bobber 2.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
Today was judgement day and it went well. It fired up right away, after 30 seconds I dropped the choke to half and continued to let her warm up. Even once it was warm after 5min I could not get the bike to idle with the choke completely off, had to keep half choke the entire time. Then when I would try to drop it into first it would stall every time. Any ideas? Clutch is in, so it should not effect the RPM's or am I missing something?

The plugs did show signs of being a bit lean but why would it stall when the clutch is in? Guess I'm ready to re-jet the carbs, for pod filters and open short pipes with a simple washer baffle. Raining here today, searching the posts for jetting suggestions and make some washer baffles.

Even with the clutch in putting it in gear will cause a bit of a load on the motor. With just head pipes there is no back pressure at all making it very lean. I know you said that you will put a washer on them but if you want a nice rider you may think about some actual mufflers:wink2: It will make a world of difference.

I am going to have to post in tell on yourself, it was so simple I'm an idiot. I took the kick stand safety off and forgot I had done it. Tied the two wires together and viola I could get it in gear without stalling. Long story short I had my first ride on it since I started the project last year. I've got a quick video of it on YouTube right here
. :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for your help in getting me this far there were days when I didn't think it was going to come together. Now I have to re-jet the carbs, add a fender, signals, fork seals, different head light, change speedometer, remove as many circuits as possible, and paint. Am I missing anything?

So I haven't posted in here in almost 2 years, the bike has sat for a while as life just got in the way for a bit. Anyways since November I've been doing little bit at a time. I've painted the motor and added the rear turn signals. I rerouted the wires to go through the frame. I'm on the return trip now to putting everything back together. I'm surprised I remember where everything goes, well at least most of the stuff.

Attachments

• DSC01631.jpg
    DSC01631.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 244
Some more pic's of the progress made since November. Rear signal lights.

Attachments

• 387.jpg
    387.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 264
  • 388.jpg
    388.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 236
  • 413.JPG
    413.JPG
    248 KB · Views: 249
Have you started a build log? Nice for others to see your progress and for your own reference if you stop the project much easier to remember where you left off. Let's see a picture of what you are working on.

Back