Choke rod detent upgrade

01ps

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
My choke rod has not been holding lately. The detent has not been holding.

I thought I'd share what I did to repair it.

There is a springloaded BB that sits in a detent in the choke rod. See attached pic for the location of the part.

Mine had the spring and BB in only one side, and I'm assuming the spring had grown weak because it wouldn't hold.

To repair I replaced the spring on that side with a new one, and drilled detent holes in the rod to match the other side. I then installed a new spring and BB in the second carb.

You might be able to buy a small BB somewhere, but they are very small. I had an old 1/4" drive extension and the BB in the end of it works perfect. I just drilled through the back and the BB comes out.

For the springs, I used the spring out of a valve core (for tire tubes), the longer style one (see pic attached). They are just the right size, strength and length. You have to snip the tip off the end of the core to get the spring off.

The choke stays put very well now. I had to smooth the detents I drilled out with a dremel attachment so they wouldn't bind. Don't drill too deep.

Be careful removing the rod so that the BB does not go flying. Put you finger over the holes. To reinstall I used the butt end of a small drill bit to push the BB down till the beveled end of the rod got far enough in to prevent the BB from flying out. Again, keep your finger over the hole so if the BB pops off the spring it doesn't go flying.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• carbbbb.jpg
    carbbbb.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 510
  • valve.jpg
    valve.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 450
These old bikes,you sometimes have to improvise! good job fixing that problem.I have had to make do with fixes,when parts weren't available. Like fibreglassing the seat pan,which was rusty and cracked. a few light layers of resin and mats,and voila,fixed!!!!Put a layer of 3/4" foam,and a cover by my wife,and it's good......lha

Back