Clamp and Size check.

Greggy

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys. I have stock Headers, 1.5" and ordering a set of Emgo Shorties that have both 1.5" and 1.75" ends. I am wondering what size clamp to use? I saw on the forum that the Harley clamps come recommended but I need to know what size to get. Like will a 1.5" clamp be too small as it needs to crush down or will a 1.75" be too big? So many options on the ordering site as well.

If im thinking about the same EMGO shorties as you say. Those mufflers are junk. The way they mount, they dont use a clamp. You just stick them on the end of the header and the mounting strap holds everything together. The baffling they come with is a paper thin piece of fiber that disintegrates in a couple days. The smaller end inside diameter of the muffler is smaller than the outside diameter of the header too. So youll never have a good seal and youll get a lot of backfiring and tuning issues.

I know this because I used them when I first got my bike back on the road because I needed a quick fix.

Thanks Mike, maybe I will reavaluate this setup then. I might be able to find some used Oem ones at the salvage yard. Just finding any in usable shape can be a chore. Are there any other aftermarket exhaust other than the Emgos I could look into?

The dohc bike had welded on mufflers. So if you cut them off the try and fit others it will not work well and emgo's are the worst. Mac makes systems for the dohc bikes. They are ok but still not as good as stock but much better than most.

While i do agree with Chris here... i have EMGO tapered mufflers on my bike. I actually like them. They are obviously louder than stock. They have a better baffle and a directional port inside to push exhaust in the baffle.

lol, the exhaust you linked I also have.. They came installed by the last owner on another XS400 that I picked up a few months back. I think they look very tacky on the bike but that's just my opinion.

The type of clamps that come with the universal exhausts are garbage.. They are a "band" style and they get all mangled when you tighten them up. The band starts to interfere with the nut and bolt and makes it very hard to get tight. You end up rounding the bolt/nut off. They will work though.

These are the mufflers I have: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Harley-Spor...538564?hash=item25b392e544:g:ISEAAOSwfZ1WZ1xi

I also just ordered a set of Harley heavy duty clamps for 2" pipes because the clamps they come with are crap.

Back