Clean Handlebars - Where Does It All Go?

MotorPsycho

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just curious, I love the clean handlebars look with as little as possible on them...but where does it all go? I'm looking for ideas about where to re-route things and mount things and move things. I have an 84 XS400, and of course it is loaded with all the usuals, so I want to clean it up as much as possible drop all the unnecessary items or move them to a more hidden location. Thanks for your replies in advance. :thumbsup:

Let me tack on another question, so I don't start too many threads and take up too much space or too much of you guys' time.

I want to put pods on my carbs, but I have been reading for days about the whole jetting and re-jetting issue. I understand that the pods have higher air flow than the factory air filters, and that that is the issue, correct? Too much air flow? As a workaround to this, would it be possible to still use pods, but put foam inside them to mimic the air flow of the factory air filters? Mine were beat, rusted, crusted, and couldn't be trusted, so I had to toss them, but I like the clean pods look much more than those big honking factory filters.

Would this be workable? Could I use more or less foam inside the pods to adjust the air flow to more closely match the factory ones?

Or is this completely mental?

Well you can put the stuff anywhere really.. Choke lever you can lose entirely, just put a plastic thing on the carbs itself. Headlight switch you can prob fab onto the headlight itself if you make it small enough. Mirrors you can remove, or get bar ends. Having a horn is nice, but that can also go entirely, or put a horn button at the bottom of your dash or something. Starter button can go near the seat somewhere, on the frame or something. Turn signals are optional as well, lose them all together or fab a smaller switch. You will need clutch and brake levers and an MC, but if you get smaller, better looking ones your handlebars look pretty good.

Yes, pods have higher air flow. You can try to restrict air flow with the foam, but there are no guarantees there. You will likely end up with unusable air filters. If you want to do the experiment, please report back here :D You will probably have more luck giving the jetting a try. As you might have already read, be careful with the tabs on the pod filters, they shouldn't block air flow to your jets.

just something to be aware of, if you're going to put foam in the pods. Be careful that the foam isn't gonna deteriorate and crumble up, all of that will end up in your carbs and engine. That's a recipe for disaster. If you're going to stuff something in there, I'd recommend using the standard stock air filter and cutting that up to fit or something. At least then you know it'll last.

Thanks for the reply willem. One thing I'm wondering about is that big honking brake fluid reservoir on the right. Can that be moved somewhere? Do they make a kit or something that let's you move it elsewhere.

I'm going to start tracing wiring and looking at the wiring diagrams and see how and where I can move things.

The biggest issue I have right now is getting a spark to the right plug. First things first, though, I have to order new carb holders and pods and get everything back together to see if it will turn over and spark.

If you get the cheap kind of pod filters they often have a tab which sticks out a little, if you put them onto your carbs they fall right on top of the jets. Hence, they block the air flow which makes the bike run like cr*p. I believe the k&n pod filters are okay, and I think several owners have also removed the tabs but I can't really seem to find back who. Perhaps one of those guys can shed a little more light on this??

Yea the Master Cylinder and brake fluid reservoir are a pain to look at, and I don't really think you can really move them. What you cán do, however, is try to get a better looking one instead. There is at least one guy here on the forum (why can't I find anything back today??) who replaced it with an awesome looking MC.

But, hold on. Your bike is not running right now?? Then focus on that first. Get the bike in running shape, do all the necessary maintenance and ride it for a bit, before you start messing about with a bunch of mods and cleaning up your handlebars!
You'll save yourself a heap of trouble, otherwise you'll end up with 3 things which are not functioning at the same time, and you won't be able to tell what's going on anymore.

... I want to put pods on my carbs, but I have been reading for days about the whole jetting and re-jetting issue... Could I use more or less foam inside the pods to adjust the air flow to more closely match the factory ones?
Or is this completely mental?
Don't do it! :yikes:
Well that's just my opinion, and it is based on the fact that I have great success maintaining things that are right - and terrible luck modifying things that are right so that they become broken.

Again, my opinion, but I think it depends on whether you want to be a rider or a tinkerer. If you are gifted you can be both, but until you prove yourself to be gifted, I would assume you will be one or the other - like me. In my case, I'd rather ride a stock bike every day than spend time messing with it and messing it up.

I do like the look of pod filters and I have on occasion wished that the pod industry would take the trouble to offer a pod filter which delivered original spec airflow. Then one could just bolt them on and the bike would run the way it was designed to run with no further mods. Until then they won't get any business from me.
But I like your idea (so it's not completely mental) of doing their job for them and trying to adjust your post-pod airflow to match your existing carb jetting. I hope you are successful and don't end up adding another broken carb story to the Forum. Best of luck

another tip: As a lot of people DO tinker away anyways and switch from stock air filter setup to pods, so it's likely that there are quite a few stock air filter setups available on the market. You mention your air filters are beat, rusted and crusted, so maybe you can get a replacement stock setup? Besides, if it's just the air filter itself (not the housing) you can buy those online for cheaps at loads of places..

I got this advice about pods dont mount them directly on the carbs,use your airtubes from the factor boxes.I didnt have a choice mine we were cracked and in bad shape.

I got this advice about pods dont mount them directly on the carbs,use your airtubes from the factor boxes.I didnt have a choice mine we were cracked and in bad shape.

Yeah, that's I plan on doing. The carb holders are beat and dry rotted to death, but the airtubes are in decent shape. My first goal is definitely to get it running in some form or fashion, even with the pods, and then go from there until I get it right, and if I can't get it right, either go back to factory air filters or re-jet and repeat until it's right. Thanks.

another tip: As a lot of people DO tinker away anyways and switch from stock air filter setup to pods, so it's likely that there are quite a few stock air filter setups available on the market. You mention your air filters are beat, rusted and crusted, so maybe you can get a replacement stock setup? Besides, if it's just the air filter itself (not the housing) you can buy those online for cheaps at loads of places..

My first inclination was to rip out all the old foam on the stock air filters, clean them up, and use some other strips of filter I had to replace the old. I ripped off the old filters, and apparently that was the only thing holding the filters together, because they basically came apart in my hands. I was gentle, and didn't do any Schwarzenegger-ing on the foam, just a little tugging and it came off since it was already crunchy, but the sides of the air filter just came right off, also. So, I ended up with what was originally only two air filters now being six pieces. I glued them back together as best I could with some good rubber cement (since that was what it seemed like was on there to begin with), replaced the foam, and used cable ties to hold them together securely until the glue dries. The cable ties aren't in the way in any way, so I may try them as is to see if they're even functional like that. The foam seems to be the same thickness and firmness as the old stuff. Trial and error, I guess.:shrug:

I do like the look of pod filters and I have on occasion wished that the pod industry would take the trouble to offer a pod filter which delivered original spec airflow.

If there were some way to know the specs for the airflow, then that would be entirely helpful and maybe we could research to see what other filters offer nearly the same spec of volume of air. I know that that's asking for a lot, though.

One thing I thought of this morning was how to secure the foam inside the pods. Just stuff a big chunk in there, so it won't come out? Some sort of stiff mesh screen inside the pod that would hold it in? A piece of wire through the pod and foam? Hmmm... Can't wait to get my carb holders so I can at least get it back together and try to get it to run first. First things first!

Back