Clicking/ Binding Issue

user11206

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys hows it going.

Yesterday I came home and lately I have been noticing a weird click in the back end of the bike. Upon further inspection I found that if I rotated the tire, at a certain point it was binding up. The chain is going super loose and super tight.

I pulled off the drive sproket cover, pulled the chain off, which looks ancient. Put a dial indicator on the rear sprocket and measured, max deflection was .011", checked the rim, and max deflection was .005".
Not much. Partially rim, partially sprocket. Checked the front, and I can move that drive sprocket with my fingers back and fourth. I don't know bikes THAT much, so I don't know if this is normal, or are the keys on the sprocket starting to wear on the shaft?

The drive sprocket and tire sprocket run supper smooth without the chain on. Looked at the chain, master link looks pretty bad. For testing purposes, point the chain in oil. I let it soak and wiped off. Put on the bike and it glides a lot smoother. It seems that the drive train tightens up when the master runs over the sprocket or at least in the area.

Any ideas? Would appreciate the help. I will make this a dual question I guess. My clutch with the bike on the center stand will not disengage the tranny from the engine. So I checked the handle bar, it was all the way adjusted already >_<. Pulled off the little black boot, and adjusted at the clutch rod. I adjusted so far in and it still wouldn't work. I adjusted it so far that the clutch housing graced the cover.
However.. with the bike in gear, and the clutch lever not pulled... I can adjusted that screw until eventually the tire will stop rotating, but that is so far in that when the clutch is pull it will touch the basket on the cover. Adjuster problem? Basket problem? Owner problem? Please need some insight, I don't want to burn through my clutch, and it makes getting the bike into Neutral with it running a night mare.

Thanks

RYU77US

If your chain is old I would replace both the chain and sprockets. The front sprocket nut should be torqued to 40 lbs or so. DOHC bikes may be different. You can find clutch adjustment threads in the forum and in the manual. Follow the procedures step by step.

Back