Clipons / Clubman / Superbike bars / ??? for CAFE?

montyii

Monty
Reaction score
I'm still looking for a XS, but the intent is to do a cafe build. I'm trying to do some legwork and decide what I'm going to need in advance so I can get it finished ASAP and have some summer ride time.

SO.....

I want to go with the Cafe look, but I don't want to get Clubmans then superbike bars then clipons trying to figue out what works the best. I know that it's going to come down to preference of the rider, but I'd like to get some input (i'm 6' /225 lbs) I'm looking for some first hand input from people who have tried one or more of them. Worst case I'll start with the cheap options and go from there.

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to chew up bandwidth...

thanks!:bike:

I have "European" bars which are very close to "Superbike" bars. It's not a cafe bike but you can see how far they rise...which ain't that much:

user3153pic379130179031.jpg

user3153pic380130179031.jpg

Here are some "Superbike" bars on a cafe' style:

4555762983488097f49ab.jpg

Clubman:

1908xs400a.jpg

Drag Bar:

evpnt1.jpg

I would say after buying clubmans b/c they were the cheapest to go with clip-ons, they are adjustable as in how far up and down your forks you want or need to go b/c of your height. I'm 6 ft and I'm considering selling the clubmans so I can pick up clip-ons off parts n more for 80.00

Thanks for the input guys, this is what I was looking for... Looking at another bike today, hope to have one soon (today's is a 77 XS750)

6' 175 lbs

First bars I put on were euro bars; they look nice, feel nice.

Second, I put on clip-ons; these feel very comfortable to me but I am something like 75% legs and 25% torso, so my upper body sits low when I am on a bike. I am not at an extreme forward lean, but a normally proportioned human might be. Consider your own weight as well. More body weight means more stress on your lower back. People told me I look more like a grasshopper on the little 250s I was riding during the motorcycle course.

Oh, and clips-ons, in addition to being much more expensive, might require some trimming of the stock headlight mounting bracket; mine did.

Well I got an xs750 this weekend.

The handle bars move all over. I'm thinking that the rubber grommets/bushings in the risers are shot. If you have replaced the bars for a cafe build did you use the stock bushings? I'm thinking that some of you would have attached the risers in a more rigid manner.

I also thought that i might just get some 3/4 conduit and mock up some of the bars I'm looking at and see how they feel before I go out and start buying ones...

thanks for the input...

Back