Clutch adjustment dead end

rescue50

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was attempting to adjust the clutch on my 81 special, so I went through the past posts on the forum. I've learned that one must remove the black rubber plug on the side of the engine, then loosen the lock nut beneath it, (which I understand may be difficult), and....then what? The most descriptive post I found described removing some grey matter from the cable, and the manual seems to only cover removal/replacement of the clutch itself. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!
Rescue50

I did this yesterday. Did not read the manual. Started at the lever end. Screwed in the adjuster with one thread showing. With the cable slack I squirted in some oil.
Down at the other end. Popped/pried the rubber plug out with a flat screwdriver. Looked like a 12 mm nut with a phillips screw in the middle. Got the T bar 12 mm wrench and screwdriver. Quick jerk on the nut and it was loose. Screwed in the philips head screw, noticed the slack in the cable was reducing. Screwed it snug, and backed off a teensy bit.
Tightened the nut and put the plug back in. At the lever end, turned the adjuster to while checking for lever play. Set the adjuster with the groove down, and set the locking ring.
Went for a ride.

Had the clock running. Remove carbs and change the main jets, 35 minutes, adjust clutch and oil the chain 10 minutes. Above includes time to find the tools, chain oil, and have a pee.

Unkle Crusty*

Back