Coil Color Question

SilverTalon

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I had to replace one of my coils, so I did both to keep them current (no pun intended, take him away keyboard cat!).

I bought a pair of these from MikeXS
17-6805.jpg

So now when hooking them up, as everyone knows on the bike there is red-white/black, and orange/black. The new coils have brown and orange...

On top of that, the colored wires on the coil are a flip of what is on the new coils.

i just want to make sure I am wiring them properly. I was able to get the bike to start on one coil at a time, and them both together. But once I put the tank back on and hooked up the fuel lines, I couldn't get it started again (Could also be a carb problem, fuel going into the air filter at random times).

i just went through this today.

so you probably have a red/whitestripe going from the TCI box to both coils and a grey or orange going to the coils from the TCI also. (stock )

in that picture it looks like theres only 1 orange wire and thats it?

all four wires are going to be hot ( 2 red/whitestrp, 1 grey, 1 orange) so i would put the orange and grey to the oranges on the coils and the red/whites to the browns.

then you might have to switch the spark plug boots to make sure you put the grey and orange off the TCI box to the correct side coil. or the timing will be 180 off

this is all assuming you dont have points of course but it should be very similar either way

i just went through this today.

so you probably have a red/whitestripe going from the TCI box to both coils and a grey or orange going to the coils from the TCI also. (stock )

in that picture it looks like theres only 1 orange wire and thats it?

all four wires are going to be hot ( 2 red/whitestrp, 1 grey, 1 orange) so i would put the orange and grey to the oranges on the coils and the red/whites to the browns.

then you might have to switch the spark plug boots to make sure you put the grey and orange off the TCI box to the correct side coil. or the timing will be 180 off

this is all assuming you dont have points of course but it should be very similar either way

Thank you sir, now that that is fixed and the coils are also now going to the correct plugs (my bad) I can move onto new problems

Fubar,

When you used the coils, did you notice any extra vibration from the tank? It seems to be looser, since the coils are much smaller.

Back