Cold weather riders

Scorpio1963

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Lately here where I live temps have moderated slightly warmer than what it has been for the last 3 weeks.Today while I was out I seen a guy out riding his harley on the expressway doing 65mph:yikes:.This guy had to be totaly numb,filled with liquid antifreeze(FirewaterLMAO) or wearing a heating suit.I have been hearing other people riding once in a while also.Even if my bike was running theres noway I`d be out there riding.If you hit a patch of snow or ice your going for a slide.

I have ridden in the cold, just don't drink anything before hand or its pee pee time.

I rode about 100 miles once, it was sunny so not too bad, went into a fog bank and came out with ice on me. thought that was cool (literally)

just keep speeds down and thus the wind chill factor and I also wear thermals

In mid December I was still riding but I had 5 layers on plus a full face ski mask.Open face helmet with goggles it wasnt too bad tolerable but not what I want to do every day.

We are being "Lake Effect"ed up the ying-yang today.
As Enviro-Can puts it:
"Winter has won the latest battle with early spring and has returned with a vengeance. Cold Arctic air flowing over the relatively mild waters of Lake Huron and Georgian Bay will generate lake effect flurries and snow squalls today and tonight."​

I finished my hardtail conversion in January and the following day it was around 35 degrees out. Best believe I threw on the thermals and rode to work. :)

Not sure what you guys consider cold, but on a bike, going 70mph, that's a wee chilly.

Well anything below 50* is cold when riding but I have ridden in 32* weather before with 5 layers of clothes on.2 pair of thermals and 3 shirts a pair of jeans and heavy pair of cartharts.

I've been out riding a friends bike on the ice. I'm wearing MANY layers of clothing to trap all the heat my body makes. Wool, silk, down, with synthetics on the outside. No exposed skin at all! If the snow sticks to any spot, that is where more layers are required. Blocking the wind is also very helpful. Hand guards are good, but bar muffs are great.

Yesterday I seen a halfway decent good looking lady out riding her Motorcyle.It was a Vtwin engine bike of some kind not a yamaha or a harley.I gave her the thumbs up.

When I was living in Minneapolis there was a guy in Robbinsdale (NW Suburb). He drove his Ural year round one year and did a story for a local MC paper. His bike was 1 complete with Side car and 2 wheel drive. Lucky for him it was a mild winter I think around 2005. Wish I had the article. I think he used a modified WW2 heated flight suit under a snowmobile suit plugged into the bikes power system. As I remember It was a good ride most of the time except when there was more than 4" of snow fall.

Never did trust that ground hog! With his shifty beedy little eyes. Makes me think he's scheeming to get back at humans for wakeing him from his hybernation.

I used to ride year round, wiping snow off my visor, on an SV650. Best tip I picked up, besides lining your boots with plastic bags, is to get yesterday's newspaper, and use it as a breastplate to block the windchill against your core. You still need awesome gloves, and a neck warmer of some sort, but the newspaper trick works wonders.

I'll second the tip about the newspaper. I don't get cold easily but I have a real tough time warming up once I am cold. The newspaper makes a big difference.

Sandy

was riding this morning with 33.8 F (1 C). Bit chilly, also cuz I didn't think it would be necessary to wear a scarf at all. Mistake on my part there. Snow falling was a bit annoying though

was riding this morning with 33.8 F (1 C). Bit chilly, also cuz I didn't think it would be necessary to wear a scarf at all. Mistake on my part there. Snow falling was a bit annoying though
Don't you love global warming?
Before global warming, it was too cold to ride when it was 1C/33.8 F. :wink2:

Today I will not be home much - we are supposed to hit 9 C. Just one day though - then 4, then 3 then rain for 4 days.

Back