Considering a windshield. Do you have one? Post some pics!!

Private

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Been thinking about adding a windshield. Was wondering what some of the different kinds on the market look like on this model of bike. I am hoping that some people can post some pics, so that I can get an idea of what to add.

thanks

i use a puig screen, nice and keeps the wind off me if needs be

d93a89dc.jpg

Been thinking about adding a windshield. Was wondering what some of the different kinds on the market look like on this model of bike. I am hoping that some people can post some pics, so that I can get an idea of what to add. thanks
Not as nice looking as Drewp's, but quite cheap, very adjustable for position and rake, and easy enough to remove that one can do so on a nice warm bug-less day. I leave it on most of the time and love it.
If you like to watch for gravel on the road at intersections, be careful of buying the "smoked" or tinted version - and I found the contrast VERY distracting. Glad I got a clear one.

Attachments

• Max's windshield.JPG
    Max's windshield.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 409
  • Spitfire Windshield.JPG
    Spitfire Windshield.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 454
What kind is it and where do you get them. That's along the lines of what I'm looking ffor
"Spitfire". I got my first one from the Royal Distributing outlet in Guelph. They have several other outlets around Ont. Not sure if they are in other provinces though.

My second one (necessitated by my bike falling against the wall in the garage and the windscreen splitting into 3 pieces - I know, fodder for the Tell-on-Yourself Thread....) was ordered for me by a little one-man repair shop. It came by Purolator to his shop in 2 days. So they can be had easily. Cost was well under $100, including shipping on the 2nd one (but the courier was less than the gas to drive down to Royal). Royal has their catalogue on its website so you can check out the price there if you need to argue with a local source over retail price.

I had a Spitfire on my first bike. They're really good for the money, and do the job.

Just bear in mind, your gas mileage will suffer, and (I found) that it's not as much fun without the wind in your face/visor.

... Just bear in mind, your gas mileage will suffer, and (I found) that it's not as much fun without the wind in your face/visor.
And also bear in mind that they don't allow giant June bugs, cicadas, grasshoppers or yellow jackets withing the City Limits of Oakville. :wink2:

But we Plebes riding around the rest of the countryside like our windshields, visors and padded-thumb gloves this time of year .. :eek:

Last edited:
Please. You never forget the first time you get a wasp stuck in your jacket. All part of the experience.

And June bugs have only ever hit my legs. Feel like rubber bullets at 160 on the 401...

I took a bird strike to the chest today at about 45-50 mph (left an ugly mess on my leather):mad: .. think those windshields would hold up to a small bird? Do they flex a bit?

Posted via Mobile

I had a bee in my shorts once, batting down the country lane in a 1962 mini with sliding windows. took ages to stop with drum front brakes and me trying not to move

I took a bird strike to the chest today at about 45-50 mph (left an ugly mess on my leather):mad: .. think those windshields would hold up to a small bird? Do they flex a bit?
They flex quite fine to take account of the wind and I would imagine a small bird strike (unless you are going 100 mph downhill and hit one riding a fast head-wind). What they don't seem to stand up to is the bike falling over sideways against the garage wall. Just don't do that.
Not sure how they would stand up to a strike by a seagull, crow or turkey vulture. I can spot those big ones and they respond well to the whimpey horn. But I'd rather loose another Spitfire than take a turkey vulture strike to the chest if the horn failed. :yikes:

Back