Convert 1980 Yamaha XS400 Wheels to XS400 Special Wheels

jmhuff2

1980 Yamaha XS400
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have recently purchased a 1980 XS400 and it is great condition. One of the modifications I want to perform is putting XS400 Special wheels on it. That way I can have front disc brake. What will I need to do besides switch out the wheels? Can anyone point me to some good threads or articles on other sites? I am fairly mechanically inclined but haven't worked with motorcycles before. Anything will help! Thanks!

Hello everyone! I have recently purchased a 1980 XS400 and it is great condition. One of the modifications I want to perform is putting XS400 Special wheels on it. That way I can have front disc brake. What will I need to do besides switch out the wheels? Can anyone point me to some good threads or articles on other sites? I am fairly mechanically inclined but haven't worked with motorcycles before. Anything will help! Thanks!

With out more information I would say the most obvious thins would be the need to use the fork<s> from the disc brake bike and then the master cylinder, caliper and hose.

I am considering doing this on the 1978 XS400 I have but in my case I also have a complete 1977 XS400 sititng here with cast spoke wheels and disc brakes. So as far as the front end is concerned I just have to swap out the complete front end from one bike to the other. Changing the rear over will, if I do go that route, involve a bit more work but I have the doner bike for parts and pattern to mount rear master cylinder brackets.

Will installing a rear xs400 special wheel to a regular xs400 be an issue? Is the only difference between the two looks when it comes to the rear wheel?

Back