Converting to 18" rear wheels

bcXS400-81

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm just starting to plan my build and I'd really like to go with 18" wheels front and rear. I have 2 bikes, one with the 18/16 mags and one with the 18/16 spokes with drums. Haven't decided which I'm going to use for the first build yet.

For the mag, I'd like to find an 18" with a disk, and I'm wondering if it would be easier to swap swingarms with a bike setup for rear disk if it's possible? Or just weld a mount for the caliper?

As for the spoked rims, does anyone make replacement spokes for these wheels other than custom ordering through buchanans? Does anyone know if I could lace the XS Performance 2.15"x18" wheel available through mikesXS to the stock rear hub?

And lastly, is there any reason to favor one set of wheels over the other? I hope to build up both bikes eventually but will probably only get one done this year. I like the look of both, and I think drums have a cool vintage look to them, but how is the braking performance?

Thanks, and sorry for the essay!

wires are soo much lighter than the mags, cost a lot more and need checking every now and then.
mags are heavy, but are over engineered as it was a new thing back then and can take a bit of abuse.

its easy enough to make a mount for the caliper. its only to stop the thing rotating as the actual mount is part of the spacer!

Back