Deep Cleaning for the winter

SilverTalon

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately with winter coming up, I'm going to have to start putting the bike away soon. :(

So I am going to start prepping for my winter project - deep cleaning and frame painting. Now, cleaning the frame, the rust, and repainting, doesn't worry me. Its when I get to the engine that I get nervous.

Carb cleaning - never done it and I'm not a mechanic (at heart I am a master). Will it be difficult with instructions, or should I find one of my buddies to come help me out.

The Engine - What is best to clean it? Would I even clean it, or grind and buff it with a sander a little. I'm not really sure what I'm doing when it comes to that and I don't want to mess it up.

You can do the carb for sure =). I recommend you buy a Haynes manual and follow their lovely step by step instructions. :twocents:

for winter storage, just drain the tank and carbs. you can get some stuff to put in the engine (called vapo something) pump up those tyres. get a little oil heater under the bike, oil down the bores and battery on trickle charge ( less than .5 amp)

spray wd40 or i use clean and shine/ac50 and leave it on.

Back