Did you removed your center stand?

Do you traditionally keep a center stand on a custom bike?

• YES! It needs to be on for practical reasons.

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • NO, it adds weight and takes away from a streamlined look.

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • Other?...

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters

Recreateme

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
When you build a custom bike (I am not talking accurate restore, just something with some work for yourself) do you typical remove the center stand?

I can't seem to be able to put my bike up on my center stand consistently or easily, and i was thinking that if i never use it i might as well lose it!

What do you guys do?

I wished a few times during the build that I didnt cut it off. lol. It would have come in handy a bunch of times. But now the build is finished...I dont miss it at all.

When I first got my bike, I didn't know the proper technique. A friend and I, working together, could barely pull the bike onto the centre stand.
I was at Tim's one day, cursing it :cussing: and complaining about how hard it was to an older gentleman with a big V-Star who said he wished he had a centre stand. I told him he could have mine and why.

He chuckled :laughing: and asked he if I minded if he touched my bike (bikers' code I suspect). When I consented, he walked over to it and, with one hand :yikes: he raised it onto the stand. Something two younger men could barely do. :shrug:

It's all technique. We were blocking the protruding arm with one foot while pulling backwards and lifting. All he did was stand with his foot on top of that arm, grab the Maxim's handle with one hand and in one smooth motion he lifted up with his hand and put all his weight on the foot on the stand. As easy-peasy as pie.

Unless a PO has modified or bent yours, or installed way bigger wheels/tires, you will love its convenience once you learn the technique. Makes checking, cleaning, tightening and oiling the chain a breeze.
If you do decide you have to remove it for style reasons, don't do it till after all your mods are done - it's just too handy.

If you do decide you have to remove it for style reasons, don't do it till after all your mods are done - it's just too handy.[/QUOTE]

Also, mine bolted on. Thinking back, I should have just considered not cutting the mounting brackets off. This way I would have the option.....

I haven't looked to much into how it is removed yet, i assumed it was only bolted to the bottom of the frame somewhere, but it is fairly large, rusted and that hanger the wraps around the muffler keeps getting in the way lol

So far, i have not used the stand, i have tried a bunch, watched some youtube videos, and keep failing...

I like the idea of removing it and then installing it when required. I was also concerned that a mechanic would curse me if i brought the bike in for repairs without a center stand and he needed one (or maybe they just jack it up anyway, i dunno)

Keep those votes coming though! we only have 2 lol

I have been contributing to a centerstand thread, I have received a new center stand, and plan on replacing mine old one. it seems my wife feels she needs to kick start her bike while the stand is down. I fully expect to train her not to use the stands. and more balance. Once I start to feel good, and put a fresh coat of paint on to it, I will update that thread, with some more pics. I am anxious to get a side by side, and a before and after pics. Other wise I have been using a 2 4x6's stacked for working on the garage floor/driveway. (That may have contributed to the early demise of my exhaust system.)

What I do with my 80 is to remove the spring and put the stand on for storing and working on it. It takes only a minute to put the bolts in and out. I would never cut the mounting tabs for it because it would be a bitch to work on the back of the bike without it. Also you need it to check for correct oil level.

Last edited:
xschris said:
What I do with my 80 is to remove the spring and put the stand on for storing and working on it. It take only a minute to put the bolts in and out. I would never cut the mounting tabs for it because it would be a bitch to work on the back of the bike without it.

That sounds good to me! i don't have the tools to cut anything off my bike, and the dont seem to bother me. I think i will look into this next week.

I had to remove my center stand when I did my suspension swap. I miss it, and plan on installing the Ninja stand this winter. Simple maintenance tasks are difficult without the center stand, often requiring a motorcycle lift, straps, and 10 more minutes...

are the SOHC center stands interchangeable between years? part numbers are different i think, but they look to be the same in pictures

however universal, paddocks seem expensive.

there are a decent amount of center stands on ebay but not all are the year im looking for.

When you get one make sure it has the foot peg on it. It makes pulling it up on the stand much easier.

Attachments

• DSC02269.jpg
    DSC02269.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 248
Back