Difference between a '82, '83, '84 clutch?

Tamarack

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first post, and my first rebuild project. This site has a great resource so far in my project, so thanks to everyone in the community.

I'm rebuilding an old 1984 Maxim XS400L, which I've had since 1990 and my father had before that. The '84 seems to be the same as the '83, and the 'L' version seems to be the same as the 'K' version... either because it's Canadian or because it was released in '84. Not sure. It's been dormant for 11 years now, so needed a LOT of work to get back on the road. For my first mechanical project ever, I tore the whole thing down, cleaned it up, and rebuilt again.

I'm almost done, but there are a few hurdles. While putting the clutch back together (without using the special tool which I SHOULD have bought), I broke 1 of the tines off the clutch basket.
Question: I'm assuming this is no longer usable at all. Correct?

I'm finding it hard to find an '83 replacement clutch basket within my budget, but there are more available for 1982 XS400s for some reason. Is this the same part? The old parts catalogs I have found show it as the same (12R-16150-00-00), but none are for the XS400L, so I'm not sure if it's a good idea to try that or not. Anyway, just wondering if those components changed between 82, 83, and 84, and if I need to stick to the actual year. Also, should I replace the whole clutch as one, or is it ok to just swap out the basket?

I also need to replace the master cylinder... the piston is stuck inside and I don't know how to get it out. I've found a salvage yard where I can get a used one for $100, or I can order a new (non-Yamaha) one from Hong Kong that looks like it will work for $50 shipped. Or a $200 new OEM one. Is there a big difference between the Yamaha and knock-off? Enough to warrant spending twice as much for an unknown used one?

Thanks for any input anyone might have on this! I hope to get it running and eventually pass it on to my son.

Welcome.
I believe the dohc Maxim and Seca 400s were unchanged (except maybe for colour schemes) during their production runs. If memory serves, they stopped selling in the US in 83, in Canada in 84 and in Europe in 89.

I'm not sure if the Seca clutch is identical since the Seca transmissions were 6 speeds (someone will know) and I'm not sure about using just a part or swapping the whole thing. There should be threads on here from past experiences though. Try the Google search window, top left, as it is often better at finding things if you put in the right phrase.

Same goes for your master cylinder question. I have read threads where people have rebuilt, replaced with used, replaced with clones. Don't know myself what to recommend though.

Thanks for the info, Lou Ranger. I bought an 82 xs400 clutch. It'll be a while before I can get my hands on it, but hopefully it will work out for my bike.

Thanks for the info, Lou Ranger. I bought an 82 xs400 clutch. It'll be a while before I can get my hands on it, but hopefully it will work out for my bike.

Hey Tamarack,

Welcome to the forum! Great to see another XS400 owner Ottawa. Let me know if you want to go for a ride when you get the bike back on the road.

Thanks, JaredK. Sadly, the '82 clutch (which is the same part for the '83-84) I bought over eBay was actually an '81, and so I can't use it. Back to the drawing board looking for a clutch, and so the bike probably won't see the light until spring.

Back