Difference between Head and Base Gaskets

gaillarry

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Ordered a new base gasket and head gasket for my 82. Opened up the packages and they look to be the same - they both have metal inserts for the cylinders - shouldn't one be paper the other metal ??

yes. base has gasket and the head has metal and gasket.

Attachments

• DSC01852.jpg
    DSC01852.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 258
I suspected they gave me duplicate parts. At least I can keep both head gaskets and the dealer is ordering the right base gasket - now wait 2 weeks to get it !!

Since the dealer screwed up I'm getting the base gasket for free and I can keep the spare head gasket. Wish I had seen the auction before, would have went that route. Thanks.

Before I had an ebay account I would get everything from yamaha. I have saved so much money and hassle since:wink2:

Last edited:
There is an oil feed through the right side I believe. I wouldn't say it is typical; it depends on the brand and makes sense.

Than thats good then, You never said if you had a dohc or sohc:wink2: You can add that to your signature so we all know when you are asking questions. A lot of people say they have an 82 but they made the dohc and sohc both that year:wink2:

Just edited my signature with bike info.

Another question on the cylinder, the parts fiche shows an o-ring under one of the dowels. There wasn't one on my cylinder and there's no part number showing for it. Is it needed??

XS400Cylinder.png

If yours is missing the engine was probably opened before. The aftermarket gasket kits I bought in the past all came with the o-rings. I would say yes, that it is necessary. There is probably a bit of pressure on that area from the oil feed to the top end. You may spring a leak sooner rather than later if you omit the o-ring.

http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xs400j-maxim-1982_model8882/gasket-1l9_9043014131/

There are actually 2 used here.

OEM Number: 90430-14131

The first time I put the top end back on my SOHC I forgot the oil feed o-rings. I am guessing it is easy to do haha. I had to pull it all apart a second time because of that. That is why I follow the manual closely when I work on the motor because sometimes memory fails :)

Back