Dipstick location on a 1983 Yamaha maxim 400

chrisd1984

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Was just wondering if this is under the bike somewhere or is it on the side as small black twist knob? Don't have a manual and it's my first bike. Would like to check the oil before taking it out in May.

There isn't one. On the right side of the engine is a sight glass. Put the bike up on the center stand and make sure the level is between the lines.

I see. Would you have a photo of what this sight glass looks like? Is it sort of located under the seat by a thin wire?

Im not sure if all models have the site glass.If you look on the right side of your crank case there should be a 1 inch round glass circle.You might have to do some cleaning to find the site mark.

I see. Would you have a photo of what this sight glass looks like? Is it sort of located under the seat by a thin wire?
Shown in top left corner in 1st photo and just below brake pedal in the 2nd.

Attachments

• Sight glass - top left.JPG
    Sight glass - top left.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 535
  • s-g, just below rear brake pedal.JPG
    s-g, just below rear brake pedal.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 782
I know its off topic sorry about that but I need to make comment about where the oil filters is on the dohc bike.Underneith just like it should be instead of up on the front side.Just seems like a better design than the sohc.

Not sure KSQRLY or I would agree. It is just a little too cute by half - simple and round, sure, but very awkward to reach and easy to over-torque or turn the wrong way because it's upside down.
I would much prefer a screw on oil filter like on a car.

Ok think I know the one, thanks again. And when I drain the oil, is it the circled bit in my photo below?

Attachments

• Sight glass - top left.JPG
    Sight glass - top left.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 632
Yeah I took a photo of the what I think is the oil sign. It doesn't look like anything though. Are you able to tell from this photo if it needs an oil change or not?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 521
Last edited:
Oh I was going to ask about the filter too...so it's on the very bottom?
Yes, the oil filter is up inside the engine above the big round cover to the left of the drain hole in the photo. Be real careful when you reinstall this cover (if you can get it off in the first place).
It only needs 11 ft-lbs of torque and 2 or us have over-torqued and cracked it in the past year.
And several P.O.s have rounded the nut for us too - lol :banghead:PS - Dave's right, the sight glass will NOT give an accurate reading unless the bike is held perfectly perpendicular to the centre of the earth. Almost impossible for one person hold the bike and look at the glass without putting it on the centre stand on a flat floor.

well, maybe not perfectly perpendicular to earth's center. The earth isnt really round, you know. More like egg shaped. But yea, it's hard to get it leveled right on your own.

@ chris, you definitely need to change the oil. Never a bad thing to do, anyways.

Thats what I was going to say doesnt look like any oil isin there.It should be at the level of the marks on your sight glass.Drain out whats left get a new oil filter if you can.Change to Haevy duty rotella T deseil oil,You mike will love you for it.It has made such a big difference on bike expecialy the trans.

Yeah I was going to change it soon actually. Know of any good shops in Toronto to get filters and oil? Is there a good synthetic oil that work well for these older bikes? Does Canadian Tire carry Rotella T?

Canadian Tire and Walmart carry Rotella. As well as many truck stops. Synthetics are even better, but is your engine clean enough internally?

Posted via Mobile

Hmm not sure if it's clean inside. Do you mean the carbs? Is there a way to tell? Which synthetic oil do you use for yours?

Just flush your system: get a cheap oil and put that in first (after draining the old stuff, of course). Ride it for a lil while to get it warmed up and then drain it. Then put in your good oil.

Back