Dipstick location on a 1983 Yamaha maxim 400

so I took a photo fo the bottom of the engine. Was just wondering where the screw is I loosen to drain the oil and this photo and where the fuel filter is located? (I've labelled the areas with letters to make it easier to identify) Also would I require a special wrench to loosen that bolt in the middle or will an adjustable wrench work just fine? Might have asked this before but my messages aren't loading properly for some reason

Attachments

• bottomoil.jpg
    bottomoil.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 245
Chris, have you downloaded the service manuals for your bike? They are in a sticky thread here, right at the top.. They may be less interesting to read than a trashy romance novel, but they have a lot of answers to questions, including the ones you don't even know to ask yet.

I took a look again and these manuals are much better than the bad printout copy I got with the bike. These ones say '82 though. Think they'll still be good enough for an '84 bike?

... wondering where the screw is I loosen to drain the oil and this photo and where the fuel filter is located?...would I require a special wrench to loosen that bolt...
"C" drains the oil and "A" is the oil filter cover. If the oil filter cover was only tightened to the proper 11 ft-lbs by the PO, then it should be okay to use a wrench. Don't force it though. My PO had rounded the bolt so much that a six-sided socket could not even get a grip. You don't want to repeat his error.
I took a look again and these manuals... '82 ... Think they'll still be good enough for an '84 bike?
There should be no difference in the 400 Maxim key mechanicals from 1981 to 1984 - unless a PO made modifications or substitutions at some point in time.
Attach a few pics of your bike and we will let you know.

Back