Disc Brakes for 1978 xs400

The XS400 and XS650 have different axle sizes and different fork sizes. It's not a bolt on swap- though a swap from a '78 or '79 XS400 with disk brakes would be assuming you got the master cylinders too.

XS650 carbs could possibly be made to work though, again, not bolt on. There are some controls in common, but a lot fewer parts than we would think....or prefer.

OK. thanks for the reply! My front brake is nearing the end so i was looking to upgrade to disc. Im not really sure how to go about this... any suggestions?

I am pretty sure that you need new fork lowers to do the front and a new swing-arm to do the rear. That is, if you want the system to just bolt on without any modifications. It will be an expensive swap if you buy the parts off ebay. Often, for something like this, it is better to find a beat parts bike with the setup you want.

g;day back brakes can be adapted as long as you use your original mounting plate/spacer as xs650 have 20mm axles compaired to the xs400 which have 17 mm axles , i used my xs400 brakes on a xs650 rear wheel on my hardtail because i needed a 20 mm rear axle wheel and used the xs650 mounting/spacer to adap it on with the disk fitted snug so was ok not sure about front as i got a set of yamaha tx650 forks and brakes adapted to my xs400 frame to have the same wheel type as my rear wheel if anything the adapting plate would be the only difference just use your adapting plate from the xs400 to fix your problem

Back