DIY matte finish tank

knightowl

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I want to repaint my tank a matte grey and it seems like there are no matte finish protective coat rattle can options that are even remotely gas resistant. I may have access to a spray booth, which seems like the better option anyway, but am also considering just getting a pro job. Any thoughts?

Truck bed liner; you might be able to find it in gray online. I did my frame with the black colored stuff and I am pretty happy with the results. It sprays out almost like a flocking powder, so it is almost impossible to mess up. If it ever wears off it can easily be touched up and blended. The only downside is the slight texture; I am not sure if that is something you could live with. I recently wiped a lot of oil off of my frame with gasoline on a rag and the finish didn't seem to be affected, so it has some resistance. Again, because it is so easy to blend and touch up I am never worried about it.

Hot Rod magazine recently did an article on matte finish paint jobs. No primer, real flat finish. They did a matte black, using auto paint stocked at Autozone. Yes, youll need a paint gun and compressor.

Back