Do I need the fork bracket that says "Yamaha"

njcafe84

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I'm going to be pulling off my forks to put on some gaitors and I was wondering if I need to keep that piece of metal that's like a bracket. It says Yamaha on it and its just below the lower triple tree.

Will affect the bike if I take it off? Or is the thing useless?

Its to hold the headlight ears in place. If you use the stock headlight mounting tabs you will need this. Other wise no you can remove it and do something like this.

Last edited:
Today I learned that Yamaha had a really cool looking chrome headlight that they chose to put on XS400 model years just before mine and then went with a very uncool looking black headlight for the '81. Thanks Yamaha!

I have seen a lot of people taking off all the yamaha logos off there bikes to make them look like another brand:wtf: Very lame! I am proud to drive my yamaha:thumbsup:

I have seen a lot of people taking off all the yamaha logos off there bikes to make them look like another brand:wtf: Very lame! I am proud to drive my yamaha:thumbsup:

I did that with the tracker and it kills the punters trying to work out what the bike is.

most say its a Hon(cough!)

Hey XSChris, just curious if you had that pic still of that setup you mentioned in this post above: "Its to hold the headlight ears in place. If you use the stock headlight mounting tabs you will need this. Other wise no you can remove it and do something like this."...

That pic is not showing up cause I think its an old/dead link, Wasn't sure if you still had the pic on ya and can update the post to include pic. Wondering what it would look like with that badge removed.

Back