do larger tires affect speedo/tach?

sly409

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Not getting any results from searching so I thought I'd ask. I think I've heard some of you say that your tach/speedo was affected with larger tires. I just want to verify this.

I was initially going to go with the largest sizes that could possibly fit on my bike to give it a beefier look 110/90front and 130/90 rear but after some consideration of how it would handle I've decided that I should only go one size up..100/90front and 110/90rears.

I might even stick with stock sizes if anyone can convince me that handling would be severely affected by going just 1 size up.

With all that in mind I didnt even think about how it would affect the speedo/tach. If its going to cause issues then I'm just going to stick to stock sized tires. I'm in the process of ordering new mini gauges so I wanted to find out before I did.

Thanks everyone.

I believe the speedometer cable runs to the front wheel, so if you don't change the front tire's overall diameter, you should be fine. Putting a larger tire in the front will make the speedometer inaccurate, displaying a slower speed than you're actually moving.

Changing the rear tiref won't affect the speedometer/odometer.

The tach should go straight to the engine, so that will always be accurate. Of course, if you do change the rear tire size, it'll affect the overall gearing. A larger tire would be like having taller gearing, which should decrease acceleration while increasing top speed.

Edit:

Also, if you wanted to go with a beefier looking tire, you could go with something wider with a lower aspect ratio to compensate, such as a 110/80 for the front

Back