DOHC Maxim Oil Strainer

firebane

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know why or maybe when Yamaha stopped the use of the strainer screen? I looked at cmsnl and they don't show it but instead show a gasket instead.

Mine shredded into 3 pieces so I put a gasket in place but was curious of the answer.

Does anyone know why or maybe when Yamaha stopped the use of the strainer screen? I looked at cmsnl and they don't show it but instead show a gasket instead.

Mine shredded into 3 pieces so I put a gasket in place but was curious of the answer.
I'm actually wondering the same thing. I ordered a new strainer cover gasket, but I don't see any strainer when I look up into the cavity the cover goes over.
I just assumed that dirt / debris fall into this area, and should collect there, so when you remove the cover, all the crap falls out. Mine had a little bit of sludge looking material when I took it off, and my oil that I drained was much cleaner. It seems to be a mystery, because its not listed in my factory shop manual, or anywhere else on the internet.

I'm actually wondering the same thing. I ordered a new strainer cover gasket, but I don't see any strainer when I look up into the cavity the cover goes over.
I just assumed that dirt / debris fall into this area, and should collect there, so when you remove the cover, all the crap falls out. Mine had a little bit of sludge looking material when I took it off, and my oil that I drained was much cleaner. It seems to be a mystery, because its not listed in my factory shop manual, or anywhere else on the internet.

The strainer part was part of the gasket and was all as one piece. The replacements have removed the strainer screen and is more a block off now.

Back