DOHC Replacement Headlight

doodsaibot

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I am searching around for a decent headlight replacement for the maxim. I have found two very good options but I am hung up on which I should get, mainly because I don't know if I want or need the option to have HID bulbs.

The first, is a BOSCH 7" H4 headlight. It's fairly standard but from what I have found, you can upgrade to a HID bulb with this assembly. Don't know if it's worth converting to HID, though. I have never owned or even driven a vehicle with HID lights.

The second, is the HELLA 7" H4 headlight. From what I read, it's also a solid setup. But, it also has a shield inside that would supposedly hinder me from using an HID bulb. It is also slightly less in price. Both lamps seem comparable in quality and they are also both made in Germany.

I am not an expert on this subject so I wanted to ask for some real world accounts from your usage of HID vs. non HID bulbs. Currently, the stock headlight on my bike is scary. The light beam splays out into an odd looking, patchy pattern. It leaves me somewhat guessing what's up ahead. :eek: I ride around in the hill country quite often and it is against their ordinance to have any type of street lights or business signage above X amount of feet so the only illumination I have comes from my bike headlight or other cars headlights.

So, "to HID or not HID?", that is the question.

It appears that the HID on your bike seemed superior to the standard setups. In your write up, you also mentioned it is not too blinding to other motorists. I also like how any of the light that does get dispersed is still in a horizontal pattern instead of blotted out like mine. Well, I think I am going with the BOSCH headlight with HID conversion. Thanks, Jim.

Since my '79 used sealed bulbs, I made a custom headlight from a burned out bulb that would accept an h4 bulb, and I put a bi-xenon in there. The difference in brightness from the old bulb is like the difference between a pocket size mag-light and a 10,000,000 candlepower spotlight.

The beam pattern between high and low on my bike is pretty good. Low beams stay out of the eyes of oncoming drivers and lights up the roadway out about 100 feet. High beams illuminate wide and far, which makes it easy to spot those furry obstacles.

Also, bi-xenon starts at about 65 watt and drops to about 35 watt when they are warmed up.

Check it out here.

I like that ballast. It is slimmer than the standard size which will be cool when it comes to finding a spot to mount it. I am going to order that particular one you have. Thanks, lemonhead. Cool avatar, by the way.:thumbsup:

No problem. On the non-dohc bikes, I've seen others mount the ballast on the side of the frame just in front of/under the tank. On my '79, I actually heavy duty zip-tied the ballast and control module on the top of the frame spine, so it is kind of wedged between the bottom of the tank and the top of the frame. All you can see of it is the wire coming out from beneath the tank to the headlight. My favourite part of that bi-xenon kit is that it's pretty inexpensive, which means, if you screw something up trying to modify or alter it, you aren't out a fortune.

Fallout. Favourite game. :D

I will keep that mount placement in mind. I noticed the wiring for the HID kit was pretty long, probably for use in a car. It may require some decent drink for me to get really creative when it comes to hiding some of that wire. :cheers: I will post photos when everything arrives in the mail this weekend and next week. :bike:

I installed the headlight today. Dang was it worth it!:thumbsup: No pun intended, but it is a night and day difference. This new light is pure in color and a uniform shape when cast out onto the road. There is no "dark spot" when switching beams, meaning the light is always on even when transitioning between low beam and high beam. I noticed a feint, high pitched, electrical hum when I turned the key. I am assuming that is normal? At any rate, the light work great and I am more than happy I went with this option. As far as installation is concerned, I used a few zip ties for the wires and some 3M double sided tape to mount the control module and ballast to the frame. It is, for the most part, in a discreet location. I suppose the thing about having a naked bike is that some of the guts will show. I will post some photos tomorrow, after I am done riding of course...:bike:

While I was at it, I swapped out my brake lights with some bulbs from superbrightLEDs.com. Again, night and day difference! My idle doesn't act up nor does the headlight dim when I use my brakes. Tomorrow my gauge cluster LED bulbs will arrive as well.:thumbsup:

It is brilliantly brighter than the old bulbs. As for the whine, I like to pretend it's the splinter cell night vision goggle sound (yes, it's your ballast charging up). Glad to hear your headlight worked as well as you wanted.

Here is the headlight. It is made by BOSCH in Germany. Not sure why the photo is sideways...

Attachments

• IMG_4161.jpg
    IMG_4161.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 299
Back