DOHC Spark Plug Question

doodsaibot

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I was reading through the manual and the spark plug required is NGK DR8ES-L. The info on the side cover placard of my bike indicates a NGK D8EA. D8EA is currently in my bike right now. Are these two spark plugs simply interchangeable?

The plugs should be fully interchangeable. Here is what the codes indicate:

D = 12mm thread, 18mm hex
R = Resistor plug
8 = Heat range
E = 19mm thread reach
A = Special design
S = Standard 2.6mm electrode
-L = Half heat range

Thank you for the info, Dave. I read that the half heat range makes it a "colder" plug, correct? Not sure I would need it. I don't think I need a resistor application either since I don't have any USB plugs or electronic devices for that matter. But if anything, it seems the resistor plug is simply more versatile.

Electronically the resistor plugs shouldn't make a difference when setup properly. The stock plug caps have resistors in them. Going with resistor plugs means switching to non-resistor caps. Negligible change in resistance overall.

Resistor plugs seem to be more common these days. My local bike shops don't have the stock non-resistor plugs so I switched to resistor plugs and non-resistor caps.

Going with non-resistor caps also means the Iridium plugs can be used. They'd be the DR8EIX for you.
I think the iridium plugs are supposed to mean something like a 2% HP increase due to better ignition/combustion.

Back