Double brake discs at XS400 DOHC

overpl

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Anyone tried to mount 2nd brake disc? My front brake is so poor... even I've changed cable on steel, and got rid of air during 1hour pumping. Its so poor... I think that disc is ok, and break pads are also in good shape.... steeled cable... what else can I check? I hate to use rear break - Its blocking my wheel:/

Fix what you have. The stock brakes are enough for most people...

The slider pins on the caliper have to move freely and be well greased or only the outside pad will work.
The caliper piston has to move freely, or it will drag the brakes.
Get better quality brake pads, and lightly sand the rotor to remove any glazing.

Service the rear brake. It shouldn't be grabbing and locking the wheel. I'm going to guess it has been contaminated with grease from the wheel bearings.
Check the grease seals for the rear bearings and replace them if they are worn or damaged.

By cable do you mean the brake hose?

Basically, what Dave said - fix your brakes.

Front - is the master cylinder working well? Have you rebuilt it or just cleaned it? The seal might not be holding pressure.

Rear - how old are those brake shoes? Are the linings loose? If they show any sign of separating from the shoe, get new ones now. A brake shoe separating can lock your wheel at speed and cause a crash.

Dual discs mean changing the fork, either the left side, or a whole different one. A fork from a Euro-spec XJ550 is supposed to fit, some other ones might also.

JPaganel - are you sure in DOHC also? From the way I see it it looks like it can fit another disc..

I'll clean it up 2morow - now I'm fighting with Valves, and with restrictions - from other topic;)

Back