Dripping/running oil from clutch side of engine case?

Medicine

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
First post here, so hello to everyone. Recently bought a cafe racer rebuild of an xs400 and had no problems except for being cold blooded, it was mostly fine until I got it home and couldn't get it started a couple days later. Since then I have put new plugs in it, but it has had a very slight amount of oil running out of it. I was hoping it was only an old gasket, though it was rebuilt within the past few years by someone seemingly competent. Does anyone have any ideas? I do have a manual, just hoping to get pointed in the right direction.

Amount of oil I am losing every couple days on the ground and places it seems to be seeping from:
IMG_20160729_163641185.jpgIMG_20160810_140853536_HDR.jpg IMG_20160810_140900462_HDR.jpg IMG_20160810_140906930.jpg

Could be a few things in that area:
-Oil pressure switch
-bolt in last picture
-rubber wire grommets into the alternator
-Alternator gasket
-clutch rod seal
-possibly the neutral switch

The oil pressure sender and the bolt will both drain plenty of oil if you undo them.
Take off the sprocket cover first. See if that reveals the source.

I believe there is either a leak on the gasket marked 2 or the rubber that the wiring feeds into under the sprocket cover next to the gasket, are either of these normal occurrences. Supposedly the previous owner whom rebuilt it never had this leak before. Possibility the wires could get tugged on by someone ignorant to where they feed?
o5wakh.jpg

This might be a "duh" kind of answer and do not take this the wrong way....but did you check that all bolts where torqued to spec....happened to me so...

Back