EBC Brake Rotor

Wolfe_11B

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Grabbed an EBC Pro-Lite rotor and figured I'd share a picture here since I have seen no mention of anyone else using this rotor, and all the photos online of it are incorrect.

59598261-2434-4EAD-BC7F-A66FA94D8108_zpsgb2qjqn8.jpg

Yes, this rotor is pricey. But the quality seems to be worth it, as all things EBC tend to be. Worth the extra money in my opinion, compared to those cheap 3rd world cross drilled ones being sold on ebay.

I'll be putting it on within the next month and give a review.

I have seen them offered for the 82-84 dohc bikes before but not the 77-82 sohc ones. Does it fit? If so how much does it weigh?

Yes, it will fit. Confirmed it with EBC that it will swap right on my 81 4R4. It is the correct diameter, and the offset looks identical.

Part number for the rotor is MD2019RS. Don't have a scale to weigh it unfortunately, but the shipping weight with box was 5lbs. Don't know how accurate that is though.

I looked up the weight and it say it weighs 4lb 10oz. Witch is more than the 4lb 1oz stock one does:wtf: I put a 1981 xv920 one on my 80 and that weighs only 3lb 12oz. I would send it back and look for a 81 xv920 one if you are looking to save weight:)

Attachments

• user3160_pic5414_1399771148.jpg
    user3160_pic5414_1399771148.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 389
The center section looks a bit more robust than the stocker, that's probably where the weight is coming from. I'll run it due to EBC's claim of more stopping power over stock. We shall see.

how is the stopping power? I'm looking for anything making it better, my front brake is the only thing making me feel unsafe on my 82 special

With what I have it seems to stop well. But not a lot different than stock. It will make the front lighter and with the vents it will control heat under hard or excessive braking.

Hey guys new to this forum. I got a 78 yamaha xs400 and looking for front and back rotors and I'm rebuilding the bike I have no idea where to find them I've looked everywhere where I live and nothing they just laugh. Anyone have any ideas or can help me out or lead me in the right direction? Sorry I know this is off topic and it was from 2014 last post I see on here but if you can help out thanks. :thumbsup:

You can get the EBC for probably what the bike is worth. There are Chinese made fronts on eBay for $75. Other option is used that are still in spec.

The front and backs should be the same size 10.5" and 5mm thick. Look on ebay for good used ones. New yamaha (if you could find them) would be crazy $$$$$.

On your bike it uses a 14 mm bore master cylinder. The easy way to increase the brake action is to swap the stock 14 mm M/C to a 10 or 11 mm M/C.
The smaller bore creates more pressure inside the system. This pushes the pads against the rotors harder.
This makes the brakes stronger as well as increase the feel of the brakes.
Leo

Back