Electric start not working after winter

onekallo

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey all.

1982 XS 400 Heritage Special in Canada

Had the e start working last year. Parked the bike for the winter, and now it won’t work.

Battery charged all up to 12.6v. I have power going to the start solenoid all of the time, but no power coming out when the starter button is pressed.

Check a meter too. It oddly has .6v coming out of the wire from the solenoid all the time.

Thinking it’s maybe the relay or the solenoid?

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

No starter relay as far as I know. Pull the motor out and try to start it out of the bike that's pretty easy to test with jumper cables and a battery.

You don't even need to test it out of the bik . Remove the connection from the starter to the solenoid on the solenoid side and connect a jumper cable from the battery positive to the connection that wire removed that heads to the starter. If the starter motor turns over then the issue is likely the solenoid or the connections to the solenoi . Make sure all the connections are clean and tight.

You can do most of your testing without removing and wires.
At the starter relay/ solenoid use a pair of pliers or two screwdrivers to bypass the relay/solenoid. If pliers just open the jaws and press them against the two big cable studs. This sends full battery power to the starter. Don't even need the key on.
If this spins the starter it lets you know your battery and starter are good.
Now on the relay/solenoid there are two small wires. One is red/white, the other blue/white. When you turn the key on power is sent to the relay on the red/white wire. The blue/white runs to the start button. The start button grounds the wire to spin the starter.
With the key on check voltage at the r/w wire, it should be battery voltage. If so you know the relay is getting power.
Check voltage on the b/w wire. It may be a bit lower, loss through the relay. If good your relay is probably ok.
At this point with the key on, use a jumper wire hook one end to a good ground, touch the other end to the b/w wire. If this makes spins your starter then you wiring on the b/w side is faulty.
The ground path for the relay is on the b/w wire to button, switch housing, to bars, across bars to left side switch housing to a black wire to a harness ground. The usual culprit is dirty contacts between the wire, button and housing.
If so then the pushbutton needs cleaning. Not hard to do. remove the right side control housing. Open it up and see how the push button is mounted. Remove the button. Clean the contacts. Put it back together. There is a metal piece that holds the wire bundle in place. This has a tab that touches the handle bars. This needs to be clean, Where it touches the bars needs to be clean. On the left side you need to clean the tab and bars too.
If you swapped from the stock chrome bars to black bars over the winter, that's the problem. Paint or powder coat is a good insulator of electricity. Open the controls on both sides and remove enough color on the bars so the housing contacts touch clean bare metal.
Leo

81 and 82 sohc xs400 has a starter relay. It's under the H-pipe for the carbs on the frame. The headlight relay is there also. It's marked 4H7. Headlight is 3H5.

A starter draws a lot of current. 75 amps or more for our bikes. Bigger engines need bigger starters of course. Mostly to have plenty of cranking power and still not draw much over 100 amps. Till you get into the big diesel engines.
Not to many switches small enough to hide on the bars of a bike can handle the current draw. So a starter relay or as some call them a solenoid is used. Ours have a 100 amp rating. enough to operate the starter without being so big it's hard to find a space to mount one.
Before they figured out how to make starter relays they use a heavy duty momentary switch. A big button that had contacts rated to handle 100 amps plus.
On some old farm tractors they had the button mounted on the starter. You have a linkage that when pulled the button was pushed.
On a 36 Buick the button was hooked to the throttle linkage, so when pressed to the floor the starter cranked.
There are after market buttons you can get to mount in the relay on a Harley starter. This way you don't need a start button anywhere. To start you reach down and push the button on the starter.
Leo

Check voltage on the b/w wire. It may be a bit lower, loss through the relay. If good your relay is probably ok.

At this point with the key on, use a jumper wire hook one end to a good ground, touch the other end to the b/w wire.

I am grounding out the b/w wire that comes out of the starter solenoid (not the harness side) correct?

Effectively bypassing the starter switch button and using the jumper wire as the starter button?

No new bars and i did clean them last year and the button to ensure good contact.

Thank you for all the help. Will keep in touch.

These year bike has a solenoid and a "safety" relay. This is so the bike wont start unless the bike is in neutral or the clutch is pulled. If you jump the starter directly that will bypass those systems.

I guess I should add a disclaimer such as: For doing tests such as these it's always best to have the bike up on the center stand. This holds the tire off the ground so if by chance the bike is in gear, the tire can turn without the bike falling on you.
I like to think most folks have enough common sense to do things in a safe manner.
Like when changing a wall switch or outlet you turn off the power first.
Leo

Got it fired up this morning. I ended up re-cleaning both sides of the handlebar controls and where they contact the (painted aftermarket) bars even more than they were before.

It fired up after a few minutes and was running on both cylinders.

I shut it off and tried again just to verify everything was still ok. Left side cylinder is now down (pulled the plug wire off while running no change, pulled off right side and it died) so I picked up a pair of plugs to throw in it and will clean the carbs out this weekend again. The shock through my arm told me that the left side is still getting spark! haha

Thanks for all the help everyone

Painted bars. You need to get the paint off where the housing tab touches. Clean bare metal to clean bare metal. That's how every electrical contact point should be.
A bit of dielectric grease will help prevent corrosion.
Leo

Back