electric start spins and spins and spins...

sir_h_c

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I just bought an 80 xs400special that is a bit rough. It runs, but it is def cold blooded.

anyway, I got a fresh battery charged it overnight, hooked it up and pressed the start button...nope.
You could hear it catch some of the time and you could hear it just spinning some of the time. I was told it is most likely the clutch actuator, most likely the housing, but i thought I'd reach out for some wisdom before I took anything major apart.

BTW, first motorcycle, new rider, reluctant wife. She was very happy I bought a "project" bike to cut my teeth on.

Once I sort out the starter issues, carbs are next.

I had the same issue with my 80. The bike had sat for 8 years and I think the starter clutch was sticking. I would press the button the engine would turn over the starter motor would disengage after I let off the button but the engine would still turn the starter for a few seconds. A few oil changes and I would think that would clear up but I removed all the electric start stuff and whet kick only. I am including a pic of the starter clutch and gear it is on the left side of the engine behind the charging system.

Last edited:
ok, not what I was thinking...
I was told clutch actuator and in looking at the manual pg 34 it looked like he was talking about parts 16 or 18 being the culprit... I'm afraid I'll just have to pull it apart...

But i don't want too! It runs and I want to ride it!

I have one that is missing the little splined gear and chain and the starter turns over weakly. I am going to try out the stuff I got from Reaper and see if I can make it work because that bike runs killer, but is a bastard to start sometime. My other is kick only right now but it starts easier, less compression.

The carbs would have to come off to allow you to remove the starter. When you pull the starter there is a small gear that will drop down in the crank case. You'd have to pull the left side crank case to retrieve the gear and chain. You might want to have a gasket on standby in case the old one gets damaged, luckily mine didn't. But once the starter is out you'll have to find a way to cover the cavity the starter was in since the starter has the bolt holes built in it to secure the tin cover. Someone also suggested putting in a freeze plug to block the round hole that the starter snout will leave to prevent oil splashing up into the starter cavity. It will take some modification, just try not to permanently damage anything in case you ever want to return it to electric start in the future.

Mine['82 rjseca]has no kick,so if the starter craps out,I'll be in for a bit of work.I wonder if there's any way to mount a kickstarter to it,just in case. By the way,I've seen one or two come up on ebay here in the good old USA. lha

The carbs would have to come off to allow you to remove the starter. When you pull the starter there is a small gear that will drop down in the crank case. You'd have to pull the left side crank case to retrieve the gear and chain. You might want to have a gasket on standby in case the old one gets damaged, luckily mine didn't. But once the starter is out you'll have to find a way to cover the cavity the starter was in since the starter has the bolt holes built in it to secure the tin cover. Someone also suggested putting in a freeze plug to block the round hole that the starter snout will leave to prevent oil splashing up into the starter cavity. It will take some modification, just try not to permanently damage anything in case you ever want to return it to electric start in the future.

Thanks i am trying to get the weight of my porker down:laugh:

Back