Electrical Engineering Design...Ideas?

thielb

maxim
Reaction score
Hey guys!
Getting involved in some independent design in the year to come. I'm an electrical engineering student so I'll need to come up with a few design projects and I would really like to do something motorcycle related. Anything and everything that could relate to my field of study and motorcycles is fair game, can I get some ideas, suggestions, brain storms?? Thanks fellas:thumbsup:

improving the charging system

design a digital ignition system with tacho, rev limiter etc

that should keep you busy :)

Somehow convert my sohc points engine to electronic ignition please. Also, make your own flashers that don't require any load and sell them on here. If they're cheap you'd have a decent market. Most of us buy universal ones from auto parts stores. People seem to be interested in bypassing safety relays frequently.

Derp, fuel injection/digital ignition... with an android phone/tab as both the display and the ecu, or at least with the tune adjustable and bluetoothed to an ecu 1/4 the size of a megasquirt. I guess that's electronic engineering and software. How about a direct replacement chassis wiring harness like a painless kit for bikes with updated lighting/flasher and gauge tech with deutsch connectors for each connection, complete with the opposite side of the connector so you can crimp on any new component you like. Just a thought.

C5 ignitions. optical ignitions for 2 4 6 8 cylinder motors cars, trucks, bikes, whatever! Paul, at C5 is always looking for new projects to put these ignitions on.

C5ignitions.com

It'd be cool to have a better HUD. Something like a gas gauge, voltmeter, 2 turn signal indicators with hazards (that would bypass auto cancel), gear indicator, and air/fuel meter.

Fuel injection would be awesome. I think I saw a youtube video of a Motor on a stand from an xs400 being fuel injected. I think it was in Japan, not sure.

Not bad suggestions so far. But I'm waiting for some real creative, "thinking outside the box" suggestions. So far every suggestion already has an available solution:

Microsquirt takes care of fuel injection and ignition. There are even iPhone and Android apps that will work with it.
Trailtech's Vapor dash boards offer most of the requested displays.
There are many options for upgrading to solid state voltage regulators for older bikes.
There are plenty of LED flasher relays available.
Safety relays are easy to bypass.
There are smart and dumb fuse panels / power distribution blocks on the market.

Lets hear your crazy ideas! :thumbsup:

What about a system that monitors vehicle conditions. I saw something a few years ago on Innocentive that offered a reward for some kind of algorithm to mesh vehicle information in a way to determine service intervals. Until today, I'm not aware of a system that does so flawlessly. Perhaps for your system, maybe consider the existing systems and try to replicate it at a lower cost with fewer parts and fewer lines of code.

Back