Electrical Frustration! (Turn Signals, Indicators, etc.)

stoberto

Andrew
Reaction score
Hello again! I am having some serious frustration with my bike. My turn signals have stopped working from time to time, and jiggling the cable going into the switch has always fixed the problem...so I always assumed it was solder joints in the switch. Well, the other day I lost the turn signals while riding (like usual). But, then (while still riding) I lost my indicator lights a few minutes later - I lost the neutral light and as well and the oil light doesn't work anymore when you turn the ignition on when it is cold.

So I took apart the left switch, saw two broken solder joints and resoldered them. This didn't work, I figured I had melted some plastic soldering so I ordered a used part off of ebay (seller states it works in the auction). Put the new switch in. But my problem remains!

I have a headlight, and the headlight high/low switch works. My horn does not work, my indicator lights do not work, my blinkers do not work, and my brake light works as a running light but does not brighten with the handlebar/foot brake. It is not a fuse issue.

What am I missing? How could all of those things go out at once? Sounds like a short, right? Is there a shared ground somewhere for these things? The wiring behind the headlight is a mess and it's hard to tell what goes where. Thanks for any help you can give...

PS - things I have fixed in the past few months include stator wiring and replacing the starter motor.

Thanks for the reply, I had checked the fuses and they all looked OK, but I went back through them and one was blown, I just missed it. So that's the good news. The bad news is the turn signals still didn't work, and I opened up my replacement switch to find the exact same broken solder joints. It's enough to make me scream. Thanks for the help though.

Dam it there is an elctrical virus going around on this forum forsure.Im having the same problems and then some.
If you found broken solder joints then theres probaly other grounding or wires shorting out somehwre.the only way to find them is use a multimeter and check for resistance.Run continuety test and find out of these systems have lost power with the switch on. you may have to unwrap some of the sheathing off the wiring to look for bad spots broken links etc.

follow what "xschris" and "Scorpio" said.
always remember "k.i.s.s."
Fuses, wire and connections (continuity), and components. this is the order that you should check an electrical system in. also keep a schematic handy to refference the circuit. there is probably something simple you have over looked or a shorted wire.

Did you check the bulbs themselves? sounds lime im being a smart ass but the incandescent lights will act funky if they share the same circuit, and require a certain power draw. I remember reading something at one time that if even one of the 3w panel indicator lights is out then the rest of the system wont get power. Remember how Christmas lights used to work before LED's came along? All other suggestions are good advice so far... and Im in the same boat atm. when it comes to testing what method would you guys recommend and why. Check resistance, continuity or 12v test light? My whole harness was checked before reinstating, the most suspect to me is that the turn signals are grounded out within or just the wiring to them may have a break.

This why I suggest removing some of the plastic sheathing covering up wires where your electrical problems are.You can have a broken wire hiding underneath or a spot where a positive is grounding out on the frame.I didn't think my wiring issues were as bad as 1st thought but uncovering them I have found hidden connections where the po has done makeshift connections and even found inline wire connectors where the wires are missing from one side.I plan on building a new harness sometime in the near future.i have discovered a lot of brittle wiring trying to diagnose my electrical problems.My plan is to get one from another xs4000 and duplicate it minus some plastic connectors.

For testing use a meter. Take your test light and walk out to the back fence and chuck it as far as you can.
A test light can only tell you if voltage is present, that won't help much. You need to know voltages. Even a volt or two off can be a real issue.
Use a wiring diagram that matches what's on your bike. Follow it along the circuit
pathways. Remember that the term circuit comes from the same root word as circle. Electricity travels in circles, out from the power source to an control, to an item then to ground, back to the power source. A lot of problems are between the item and ground back to power source.
Leo

Thanks everyone, but it was just the broken solder joints in the replacement switch that I had bought. I got a refund for that one and bought one from someone else...worked like a champ.

I just shouldn't have been so naive to assume that the switch the seller said was "good" actually worked.

Last edited:
Back