electrical woes

nickso

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys in this diagram what is the coil above the Alternator and below the Rectifier and where is it on the bike? :shrug:

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 90
I looked at a few other diagrams and it is labeled as a green wire and as a brown wire. It don't show as a coil tho.

Last edited:
Hmm, the green wire goes into gearbox casing on my bike and presumably leaves as black. I have a short to earth on the green wire which in turn has shorted the brown further along the line......it may have wiped out my new gauges. :(

Here is another diagram that may help.

Attachments

• DSC02506.jpg
    DSC02506.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 79
OK so after searching....(which is probably what I should have done first :D )....Its the field coil in the alternator which clearly shouldn't earthed....that's coming apart tomorrow then.

Can anyone confirm the readings from the regulator? The resistor is supposed to be 10.5 ohms but I get a complete short across it and the other pins give 110 ohms. Thinking of getting rid of that old shite and combining the reg/rec.

The manual give no ohm readings for one. Just to test the voltage.

Attachments

• DSC02507.jpg
    DSC02507.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 63
Thanks again Chris, I saw that but as I don't have a running engine there's not much to do there....suppose I could rig up a test voltage. Seems a bit unlikely both of the regs I have are testing the same though....one looks quite fresh.

OK now really confused. Why are some diagrams showing one side of the field coil going to ground and others showing it going to Brown live?

My loom was wired from the factory with it going to ground yet it tests as 4.6 ohms (which I believe is correct) and gives 12v to ground.

Back