Engine knocking, wheel locking

Ryno

Life is a great adventure
Reaction score
My 82 xs400 maxim just devoloped a new problem. It shifts fine/drives fine. But when in N,1st, 2nd range usually while parking it the wheel will lock up forward and reverse. Usually at this time I willl hear something knocking around in the engine.

I did an oil change and didn't find any shrapnel or any metal bits at all.

I don't know a ton about engines and just want to get this fixed so i can ride..

From my research I'm thinking I possibly broke a gear or my shifting fork? I would appreciate any knowledge or insight.

Thanks guys!

34y4v9i.jpg

Assume you are talking about the rear wheel and not the front.
When you say lock-up, do you mean the bike can't be pushed forward or back even with the clutch pulled in - or do you mean while in neutral?
Any chance it simply won't slip into neutral and either goes into 1st or 2nd when you try and hit neutral? That isn't uncommon.
Is there a chance the clutch won't disengage fully, thus causing a noise from the lower part of the engine?

Yes, the rear wheel is preventing me from moving the bike when the clutch is pulled in while in gear as well as neutral. I find that rocking it back and forth a little frees it up. It shifts threw the gears without any problem. It's great on the road but seems to just happen when in the first to 2nd gear range.

I'll admit that it is my first bike and I did some hard shifting the first few days I had it. I don't know if it could be something related to that..?

Thanks!

The chain and sprockets were my first suspects. I checked them out and seem to be working properly. Also i dont think that was cause anything inside the engine to bounce around. Is there anything i can do to try to diagnose this? Its way to nice out for driving a car..

If it was a broken clutch fork I dont beleive it shift into any gears with the clutch engaged.My thought is maybe a clutch spring may have broke and is locking the rest of it up.When say you hear a knocking around the engine area is this with the bike runing or just when you try to move it with the engine off?

Its something banging around in the engine when its running and im shifting through those first few gears. Almost as if whatever is bouncing around is what's getting caught up and preventing the wheel from moving..

That doesnt sound good maybe your chain tensioner came apart,if so 3 choices if your up for it crack the engine open and dig into it.
Find another engine
get another bike.

So after messing with it every few days i notice that it happens when downshifting to first. I can start it up and ride fine. As soon as i click down to first it locks up the wheel.and knocks around in the engine.. i beileve im going to attempt to dismantle the gear box and see what i can find ..

Back