Engine leaking oil near the shifter pedal

vishal

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

So I bought this xs400 1979 few ago. I pulled the carbs out and changed the carb holders and air filters. The bike started right off in one kick after that and idle without choke for few minutes I even took it out for a small ride. I had checked the oil level before I started and it was good clean oil. After that the bike just died and required choke to start. Started noticing smoke coming out from gear shifter pedal side. Noticed oil was leaking. The oil lets say dripping by the side stand. Please help also when I tried to change oil only a little came out so I drained whatever came out and then poured in new 2 qts of 10W30 Mobil oil in that. Please help me diagnose this problem!!!!!!

Thank you,
Vishal

My first step would be to give the whole area a good clean. Then i'd let it idle and get down on the ground and examine it.
Oil can only be lost through burning or leaking.
Examine the oil filter cover and o-ring, the drain plug, and all the gaskets. Is it producing lots of blue smoke or just little white puffs?
My assumption, taking into account how much oil was lost, is that you have a blown gasket with a fairly large break.

Hello xsxhris I have pod filters on this bike and would like to know what is the correct sixe of jets i need to get this bike to idle around 1200RPM

Main Jet:
??
Pilot Jet:
??
Pilot Air Jet:
??

Every bike is different and the type of pods and exhaust will also not be the same. Elevation will also play a roll in your needs. There are a lot of threads on carb tuning in the forum. I would do a search. Best to start stock and go up from there in one step increments. There is also idle mix screws setting and jet needle changes to make. On my 80 with a 2-1 free flow exhaust and uni filters I run a 42.5 pilot jet stock needle and a 137.5 main with the mix screws set at 4 turns out. I may go to a 45 pilot at some point but it starts up fine and runs great. I also live at low elevation.

Hey XsChris I changed my main jet to 145 and idlescrew jet to 4 turns out idles awesome at 1300 rpm after I get it started with starting fluid. I can also rev it up to 8500 rpm no problem no smokes little backfire on right side cylinder. But as soon as I put it in first gear the bike dies please help!! Thanks if you want I can upload the video too

What do the plugs look like after idle time and are the floats set to 26mm. Main jets are for 3/4- full throttle running. A 145 may be too big. If the pilot circuit it rich enough you should not have to use any starting fluid. What type of pods?

Back