Engine Rebuild? How hard is it going to be?

S3Rider

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a gasket kit for my XS as well as, a new kick shaft, clutch plates, clutch springs. I'm a little new at the mechanical side of building, and am a little nervous about breaking into the heart of this bike. I would like to turn the bike into a kick only hoping that the kick shafts gear is the only problem inside. The clutch is slipping at high revs. I have tried adjusting and have come down to replacing. Anyway I'm not mechanically challenged just don't want to get into something that I run the risk of totaling the engine. What do you all think. Should I try it. I didnt pay anything for the bike so I'm not against paying a little.

First off....welcome to the forum! This place should give you all the help you need!

My advice would be to download (or buy) a manual and study the sh*t out of it. You can download one here, in the thread XS400 manuals (just search that). Familiarize yourself with the parts and procedures that you need to get into first, then you won't be totally lost when you get inside the engine. Another bit of wisdom, and take it or leave it for what it's worth, but I would plan on spending at least twice, if not three times what I had originally planned on it. There will unexpected expenses that pop up, trust me. I would also try to order anything I needed and have it there before you even start...that way the way things come apart stays fresher in your mind. Label everything, put in sealed containers, and KEEP ORGANIZED!!!

Good luck and come back if you need any help!!

welcome S3, for the kickstart to work, the clutch has to be engaged as thats the only thing connecting the gearbox to the engine.
clutch rods rust and stick the clutch open and cables are known to be sticky causing clutch slip at high revs.
try all this first before you tear into the engine. the last engine rebuild i did was just to replace the crankcases and that still cost me £200! ($380?)

drewps

All that's been said is good advice.My strategy is to fix the free stuff first[lube cable],then cheap stuff[replace cable if lubing doesn't work],then everything else.Don't throw money at the problem by just replacing everything in sight,but if a bearing or seal is questionable while you have it apart,replace them. lha

Back